So how cool was my HS concert band?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by entrancing1, Feb 12, 2013.

1. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Your typical Conn job right there....

2. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    I was too cool for high school band...actually I dropped out of band because marching band was mandatory to be in jazz band. I do have fond memories of our sixth grade band entering a competition. We competed against high schools, many private schools with better instruments, more hours of instruction and of course much more money. We beat senior high school students...

Our sixth grade public school band took third place overall amongst hundreds of students. We got dopey little metals...It was a beautiful thing. The teacher retired that year. He was an alcoholic on the road to recovery. We were his last band and probably the best group of kids he ever had. We were totally loud rude and on the road to puberty.

He was probably the only teacher in the district with the nerve to tell a student to leave and not comeback for the period. Now in today's PC age that'd be illegal.

One thing I fondly remember is that we had a Martin Comittee trumpet...back then I had no idea of the value. We also had a Conn New Wonder cornet.

I had my trusty Conn Director.

3. Bucaneer61

Bucaneer61 Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2007
    Buckhannon, WV
    Played a jazz band gig while in HS with Buddy DeFranco, and did a demo band at a master class with Clark Terry just after college. Lots of good memories there.

Michael

4. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011

(mental image of a bunch of kids with sticky valves and keys)

5. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    wow. I wish I was alive back then! ROFL

6. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    The town I lived in (or about 12 miles outside of-1 hour bus ride each way to/from school) was so small, the 7th and 8th grades were on the same property as the high school, and the band went from 7th-12th grade.

I think it was the very first day of school on my 8th year, a Monday. The very first thing our instructor asked is if any of us had practiced that Summer. ...The room fell silent...we were all totally and completely RUSTY.:oops: ...After expressing her distinct disappointment and displeasure, she told us why she had asked. She told us we had the opportunity to travel to the "Big City" and play with the USC Trojans on their "Band Day" at halftime of a football game, in The Los Angeles Coliseum. Then she asked us if we thought we should do it.

With only a second's thought, we hastily declined. There was no way we would be ready.

Then, she informed us that the band from the next town over had been invited. They also were rusty. They also were reluctant. They had started school a week ahead of us, and had been rehearsing all that time already.

Now, there was a distinct rivalry between our two bands....there was an even more pronounced rivalry between our two towns. We did not like each other. ...One bit.

That band had ALWAYS beaten us, and they were never slow to remind us of that. There was nothing friendly about our rivalry.

So when she told us they were in, there was no way we could back out. We agreed to do it....with much dread and regret for not practicing that Summer.
    We got to work. We practiced with a vengeance that whole week....No warm-up material, we went right into College level march/fight tunes, along with two bizarre compositions by Steve Allen...they were weird, noodley songs.

OH, and we had to sharpen up our marching as well. After sweating and stressing all week, we threw ourselves on a buss, and made the 2 hour journey to Los Angeles.

I think there were a total of 8-10 bands there that day, counting The Trojans...who were simply the most amazing thing we have ever seen or heard. We felt completely out of our league being in the same place as them.

And yes, our rivals were there as well. But here's the thing....to our extreme surprise, they decided to place us at the right hand of the great and mighty Trojans. They actually liked us BEST, and also we actually had one of the best turnouts of band members...our rivals by far had the weakest....many members sat it out.

We finally were victorious over them....they actually got stuck WAY in the farthest corner on the left hand side. ....And we did it while playing The Coliseum.

We got conducted by Steve Allen on his two songs. The most noodley songs I ever heard.

It was an awesome day.

7. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    How could someone with Bochawa!!! as their handle not like this? I was in high school in North Bay, Ontario at the time. We never had anything like this up on the edge of civilization. But the Etobicoke Collegiate (Toronto) stage band came to our school and one of the charts they played was "Get it On." I was in trumpet player heaven as a 14 year old Chase fan in a one-horse hockey town.

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    A little healthy competition made the difference. sounds like a good lesson from life.

Steve Allen was a great writer and arranger. He once visited our HS with a niece and wrote an arrangement of "this could be the start of something big" for our stage band to play as the theme for an event when the school (huge) splits into two teams and competes against eachother. Fabulous arrangement. It cooked! Still remember the upward glissando's going to G above high C. Lots of fun to play.

9. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
  10. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-yfIg4vYXo

Member while in H.S. at age 17. The official age for membership in senior corps., is 21 years old. I am the only underage member of the Cabs ever to march in senior corps. competition. Since Don Angelica was my trumpet teacher and band instructor at B.H.S. and the horn instructor for the Cabs, he just had to have me in the horn line. thankfully. And a heartfelt thanks for Mr. James Costello Jr. who was my drill instructor and who handed me a Titleist G/D bugle while with the Garfield Cadets, years earlier, 1963, which survives in my collection. (That's it in my avatar.) Back then I was using a Parduba mpc. like many in drum corps. of that era, because everyone wanted to play like Harry James.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013