So how did you get into playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by barato, Feb 6, 2007.

1. barato

barato New Friend

Jan 17, 2007
    Somewhere in Ohio
    Just as the title says, how did you get into playing trumpet or how did you really got into music? Tell me your story, and why you are doing what you are doing. Say whatever you want, and give your opinions!
    Happy Playing & Typing,
    Howard

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My Grandfather died and I inherited his cornet. I was 10 years old and it was a turning point in my life! I still play that cornet (among other instruments) today. It keeps the memory of my grandfather and his legacy alive! My playing covers just about everything from church services to big band to symphony orchestra to musical!

3. Principaltrumpet

Principaltrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2006
    north texas
    I was in chicago when I was 12 and my mother took me to the CSO. We sat right in the middle. On the program that night was Mahlers 5th. I came back home and begged my mom to buy me one for my birthday. So for my 13th birthday I got a beatup King cornet.

Today I am a trumpet major, in an army band, and dream of one day being the person on the stage in chicago playing mahlers 5.:D
    Josh Ritchie

4. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    I got into playing brass when I was 9. My school had a brass band, went along to one of the classrooms to see what it was all about and had a euphonium shoved into my hands.

Regards,

TRveor

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It was that time in school when we could learn a band instrument. My last name is Ringo, the Beatles were still around, and my friends urged me to take up drums. At the junction of Woolard Road and Little Spokane River Drive I heard the most amazing music on our car radio (a red, 1964 Ford Galaxie 500) -- Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass. It was such happy music, and the trumpet sounded so cool! I madee the mental switch from future drummer to future trumpeter. Later I discovered Bill Chase, Don Ellis, Doc and Maynard and made high notes a priority. Later I heard Maurice Andre and fell in love with his style of playing. I then heard a recording of the NBC orchestra play Pictures, later heard Mathis der Maler and become hooked on the symphony orchestra as the ultimate music making machine.

6. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    I saw Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass on TV when I was in the 3rd or 4th grade and I told my parents that I wanted to play the trumpet. I started in the 4th grade,got serious in 8th or 9th grade, and decided to be a music education major in college and I've been teaching music in a public school in NJ for the last 23 years. I enjoy playing various styles of music, but I lean toward the commercial stuff.
    Bob

7. Walter

Walter Piano User

Sep 11, 2006
    My class at school went to see a Rafael Mendez demonstration and later a concert when I was 13.....Words can't describe how great he was..... spine tingling comes readily to mind....I was inspired and absolutely hooked on the trumpet.....started lessons a year later.

Walter

8. jpetrocelli

jpetrocelli New Friend

Mar 6, 2004
    Norfolk, VA
    I started in 4th grade playing the flute. I played flute because a girl I had a crush on played flute. I got made fun of for about a month before I switched to trumpet. I never looked back.

9. timothypierson

timothypierson Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2005
    Truth be known, I started playing trumpet to impress a girl. When I was in sixth grade I had a schoolboy crush on a girl who decided to join band. She played the clarinet, all those keys and buttons looked too scary. The trombone slide looked too confusing and the tubas and Baritones were too big. The trumpet was small and only had 3 "buttons". I thought "how hard could it be"? :)

10. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hallway monitor was already taken. :-(

-cw-