So how did you get into playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by barato, Feb 6, 2007.

1. daveythewavey19

daveythewavey19 New Friend

Jan 31, 2007
    My friend played trumpet and then he quit but i thought it was a cool instrument so i started playing the summer before 5th grade and never stopped.

2. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I started off playing woodwinds, but there were too many buttons, so I switched to trumpet.

-Jimi

3. Zaraskabat

Zaraskabat Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2007
    Back in 1963 I was in the fifth grade. In those days they selected kids to begin band. They took the top third or so of the class, and had us do little auditions, they had us sing to see if we could carry a tune, they played a Sousa march and had us march around to see if we were coordinated enough to march to the beat and they turned us loose with tamborines and bells to see if we had any rythm. The ten or so that were left were analyzed physically, the tall ones were assigned trombones, etc. Well, because of my lips I was assigned cornet, whatever that is......... Well, they never told us what it was all about but invited our parents to a meeting and dropped the bomb on them then. Mom was dead set against it because we had to pay for something, dad took me the next day to the music store and bought me the best cornet he had there, a Getzen Super Deluxe three tone thing that was beautiful to me at the time. You see, mom and dad got into such a blowout after that meeting, he went out and shot some craps and he must have won because he blew it all on that horn. Well, another blowout when we got home with it and mom saying things like he won't stick with it, he won't practice, etc, well, just to show her, I practiced relentlessly and she never complained again. So thanks to mom I got pretty good at it. We won't get into high school and my trumpet envy with all those Connstellations playing first trumpet parts.........sigh........... not to mention Herb and the boys getting very popular as did Blood, Sweat and Tears.

Ken
    "What is that God-awful smell behind the green velvet?"

4. ABCgirl

ABCgirl Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    My uncle plays trumpet in the Marine Corps, and my dad played in high school, so naturally my dad wanted me to get into trumpet.

He bought an old beat up 60's King trumpet from a thrift shop for $25--masking taped together and all the slides stuck fast. My mom made us go outside when we first tried it out because of the ruckus we made! My brother and I started playing in a small homeschool band when I was nine and he was seven. I shared it with my brother until he stopped playing because it "made his lips vibrate and hurt!" I got a used Bundy student horn after I'd been playing three years, in much better condition. That's the one I'm playing right now, and I have a '29 Martin Dansant on the way that will take over as my main playing horn. I've played for 7.5 years now--and my mom lets me practice INSIDE! :D

5. ptynan

ptynan Pianissimo User

Sep 13, 2005
    Antigonish, NS
    there were no tenors left in 6th grade....

6. Mathew P. Harwich

Mathew P. Harwich New Friend

Feb 11, 2007
    Valencia, CA
    My mom used to play the trumpet in Highschool, and it seemed easier than all the other instruments... I didn't get in the school band in fifth grade because it was too late to join. In sixth grade, on the last day to join, I finally had the permission slip crucial to being in the band program. For two weeks I didn't progress because I failed to purchase the yamaha band method book. Finally, my band director threatened to kick me out the next week if I didn't get it. I rushed to the local music shop, self-taught myself for the next two weeks, made it into the county honor band in only two weeks of playing my instrument, and the rest is history!

7. Fionavar

Fionavar New Friend

Jan 6, 2007
    Well, when I was younger I had a really short attention span, and so my school made me go and see a physiatrist for one session. He told my mother that I had ADD and that I would fail every class after grade three. He then proceeded to tell her that the only thing that would help me concentrate would be to put me on medication. Well, my mother didn’t want me to go on medication so she said no, and made me take piano lessons. To try and force me to concentrate; well, it worked. Then in grade seven we had to choose an instrument to play for the school’s band. We were given the mouth pieces for the flute and the brass instruments and then were told to produce a sound with them... Well, I made a strange high pitched squeaking sound and decided that I did not like brass instruments... Hearing the trumpet players when they were first starting had me convinced that I would never go anywhere near a trumpet (the people in my elementary school’s band didn’t really practice so you can imagine what it sounded like...) and so played the flute for two years. Then in grade ten (last year) the high school’s music program brought the school’s choir and orchestra band go to Chicago to perform. Then I heard the school’s ‘trumpet guy’ play an improvised solo, and it sounded absolutely amazing. It didn’t sound anything at all like the sound I had been associating with trumpets for years... It sounded so beautiful. It was also the first time I had ever heard a trumpet played by someone who knew what they were doing and practiced regularly. Then I was talking with one of the other trumpet players and he mentioned that they desperately needed more trumpet players. So I decided to try and learn how to play the trumpet. I started in the summer and I’ve been trying to start sounding at least half-decent ever since. (It’s getting there... slowly... very, very slowly...and has been filled with much embarrassment... like that time when all the other trumpets were missing and I had to play three songs where the trumpet has the main melody and then was drowned out by the flute section... to defend myself there are a lot of flute players in the band... )

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  8. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    It was fifth grade and the music teacher came into the room with a bunch of instruments for us to try out.

I fell in love with sound of the Cornet and was some what of a natural on it putting out a middle G on the first shot. The rest is history.

9. Lormacon

Lormacon New Friend

Jan 24, 2007
    My story is much like rowuk's. My grandfather played professionally around the St. Louis scene. His daughter (my mother) picked up trumpet from him, and I picked it up from her. The best part for me is now my daughter is playing! For me one of the best experiences I've had as a parent is sitting beside her playing our trumpets.

best regards,

Joseph :-)

10. maybnexttime

maybnexttime New Friend

Feb 14, 2007
    I've played the violin forcefully, and after my friend played "Ala Turca" by mozart at a friends birthday who was also into trumpet. I fell in love with the trumpet, 1 week later I picked it up and started practicing for long amounts of time.