So how did you get into playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by barato, Feb 6, 2007.

1. PiGuy_314

PiGuy_314 Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I don't remember it, but I must have put down trumpet on the school form in fourth grade. The next thing I knew, they had handed me a pretty piece of metal, and I was supposed to blow into one end and sound was supposed to come out of the other. So that's what I did. They handed me a trumpet, so I played a trumpet.

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I wanted to play clarinet, emulating an older cousin... but we could not afford an instrument by the time band started. I showed up anyway and sat last chair in the clarinet (out of about 25) section of beginning band with no horn. I was the only male in the section. Sitting behind me was 3 rows of trumpets kicking me in the butt and calling me names (use your imagination).

This went on for about two weeks until I got called over the intercom to come up to the office. It was my Mother... standing up in the main office holding a giant ugly suitcase. She was beaming with pride.

"What's that [email protected]?" I asked...

"It's your cornet for band" She said

<OMG> "Mom... I said C-L-A-R-I-N-E-T, not cornet. You have to take it back and get a clarinet."

"What!? Clarinet, Cornet... that are about the same... but I can't take it back. Bought it at a garage sale. You have to play it."

Me... dying inside... I take the horn and drag it slowly back to the band room to face the horror of having to JOIN those rotten bastards that have been razzing me for two weeks. I was last chair, still. They all had a two week head start. A month later I was first chair and the razzing stopped as I had challenged and beat every one of them.

Thank goodness the clarinet was also Bb, so I didn't have to re-learn the notes!

3. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    I have cerebral palsy, and back in the early '60's, that meant I had to go to a school for kids with disabilities (today, a kid like that would be "mainstreamed" into a school with non-disabled kids). Anyway, after a few years at this school, my teachers and therapists thought learning an instrument would be a good way to improve my hand-eye coordination, so they asked if I'd like to learn an instrument, and which one I'd like to learn. Having seen Louis Armstrong, Herb Alpert, Al Hirt and other trumpet players on TV, I was fascinated by the trumpet, and said I wanted to learn to play it--the school didn't have a trumpet at first, so I took accordion lessons till they got a horn for me to play!! I started on trumpet at age 12, I'm 56 now, and still loving it, of course--how could I not??

4. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    I began the cornet in march 2012, well, I'm a saxophonist and play other instruments too.
    Well, a brass is interesting if oneday you get older and one of your hands cannot work properly, trumpet, cornet or flugelhorn are excellent for that.
    My two hands work perfectly, but I like the cornet.

5. bachfella

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    Lionelsax, I think you misunderstood my post--I wasn't saying I play trumpet because my hands don't work properly--they did when I started playing and still do now. The teachers at my first school thought learning ANY instrument would be a good way to improve hand-eye coordination (I really didn't have a problem with that--I think they were hedging their bets). I might have picked a woodwind instrument, but at the time, the trumpet was the instrument that caught my eye. I apologize if I'm misunderstanding YOU, but your post gave me the impression that only someone whose hands weren't working right should play trumpet....

6. Juarez-MA

Juarez-MA Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2012
    NEVER make that mistake! :p

7. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Went to the local youth brass band at a very young age wanting to play the trombone. Told my arms were too short so they gave me a cornet instead.

Still curious about the bone though and have just got a bargain off everyone's favourite place to throw money away - Ebay!

8. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    No, it can't be, because I didn't read your post.:-)

9. bachfella

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    :shock:

10. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    I didn't read it before I wrote my post.ROFL
    Don't cry !:laughwave: