So how do you respectfully critque another Trumpet Player?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eclipsehornplayer, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Just to be clear,

I was not/am not gunning for anyone's job. I just want us to have a musical sound. When I read a piece of music I try to visualize it's dynamics and then perform them. I'm not real good at this yet but I do try.

It just seems to me to be very glaring and obvious. If your the only instrument playing with the wind instruments playing well beneath you; it is very easy to hear even for a less musical ear.

I'm not trying to be critical of anyone's playing, trust me I have much work to do on my own.

Just want us (The band) to have a good sound; that's all!

2. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    John,

I guess you're not getting what I'm saying. I don't think you should ever base your success as a player on taking someone else's solo, chair, job, etc. and I'm certainly not suggesting that's why improving is important. Also, thinking about how other players could make a piece better is not your concern, it it?

When your goal is to constantly make yourself a better player, to play your part as musically correct as possible, to learn from others around you; then you will improve to a point where you are asked to join groups comprised of musicians that are farther down the road than you are and a whole new set of opportunites will appear for you.

IOW, create a reputation for yourself as a considerate, competent and reliable player and people will notice and want to have you play with them.

On the other hand, create a reputation for yourself as someone who is critical of fellow musicians and, well, you know.

my 2c,

Greg

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Talk to your director and give him your honest opinion. It becomes then his problem, not yours. Check out the "mobbing, vulgano style" topic and try the following: look at the floor and shake your head "no" while he is playing the solo.

4. Rimshot

Rimshot Pianissimo User

Feb 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    I hope Vulgano Bro was kidding, on all accounts!

Raising this issue directly or indirectly can only be destructive, maddening as it is: everyone else in the room can hear him, too! The Director is the only entity appropriate to "call him out".

I would also note, that while a shallow lead piece makes it tough to sound rich, mellow, and lyrical, it is not impossible, and if this guy doesn't have the sound concept, well, he just dosen't have it.

Actually, simply kidnapping him might be the best all-around solution.

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Jerry wrote:
    I like that!...Especially because you're what? about 6'5" and 260 AND originally from Detroit? :think:

Who ya gonna call?

-cw-

6. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Greg,

Got it... That makes sense to me. I just wanted to make sure that it was understood that my purpose was not to try to gain the solo or another chair. I just want us to sound good as a group.

I guess I can't worry about the group, so I'll just focus on me and my part of the trumpet section.

Message received!

7. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    6'3" 345 but who's counting?????

Let's just say that I fill my chair in the section ;-)

8. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    Critiques

i suppose I am lucky in that in our community band trumpet section, the main players all have a good working relationship. We can comment on each other's playing with the attitude of improving things. Nothing is taken personally and is received with the spirit of which it is intended. (Improvement) We also can joke about everything from playing too stiffly to clams to just having an off day.

I generally do most of the solo work but at times the strengths of one of the other players lends themselves better for certain style of which maybe I can play the notes but not really feel comfortable with the nuances. In these cases, the other guy does them. I am happy to yield on such situations. We even have times where a certain player really would like a shot at a solo. I say go for it!

Sometimes if I have to miss a rehearsal other will play the solos I have been doing and comments come back everywhere from "glad your back...we needed you on that solo" to "so and so did a really great job on that solo!"

I have been very lucky in the various groups that I play with (community or professional) to have had really good people to work with who put the music first and not egos.

Hope my track record continues.

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida

9. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hey Bill,

That's exactly the spirit with which I started this thread. Good for you, I'm glad that you guys are fairly tight in that regard. From what I've heard from others your section is the exception so enjoy it.

I've decided to just leave it alone but it will be hard.

I wonder if just hanging my head and shaking it back and forth while he is playing would be Ok :noway:

Naw probably not but very tempting indeed.

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Just a thought here...and I could be completely wrong.... BUT

what does it sound like out in front of the band? Sometimes our perceptions of section-mates' sound can be a little different? I dunno... I'm just offering a possible alternative. Sounds like it's a little late now but sometimes a recording helps someone realize "on their own" that they have problems? (Always done in the correct spirit, of course).