So how do you respectfully critque another Trumpet Player?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eclipsehornplayer, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hey Ed,

Thanks that is food for thought.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Toots, my guess is that it's going to sound just as lousy out front as it does in the section.

Just let this one go. If the guy can't hear that it's not sounding good, or if he can, yet chooses to continue to play it that way, then there are bigger problems afoot and it's best to just let it go and let him continue doing what he's doing.

We all have different reasons for why we play and my guess is that no two people are going to be playing horn for the same reasons and therefore your beliefs and opinions on the matter are certainly not going to match his, so why bring it up at all?

Let the conductor do it if it's going to be done at all.

3. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Thanks Patrick,

Yeah I pretty much decided that letting the dog lie so to speak seems to be the thing to do.

It's just hard for me to not say anything. For me it's like someone taking a very pretty and melodic line and just making it sound terrible. It really does sound like someone trying to blow a 500Lb Canary through a straw. It's just so thin and pasty sounding.

Like taking your stereo and switching it to mono for those of us old enough to remember that. I'm sure you get what I'm getting at.

Thanks everyone.

4. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    I think you have to grin & bear it, unfortunately....
    Try not to dwell on it, it'll only get worse.

5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Playing as a team

Here in Michigan we have an annual community band festival where the various local community bands meet together and play in contest with one another. This is all critiqued by eminent musicians and band leaders. When our local community band went to this festival it was recorded along with a running commentary by two judges. The recording of this was then made available to any and all who were interested. For some of us it was a wakeup call, for others, a joy to hear ourselves in concert. As one of the most elderly musicians playing in this festival and a recent comebacker in the bargain, it was a real thrill for me. I heard comments in our local bandroom after listening to the subject recordings which in some cases surprised me, and in other cases disgusted me. Some were defending poor performance with alibi type excuses. Others, were of the opinion that as a group we actually sounded pretty darned good. My personal take on the recordings was that I was really impressed by the way that our band listened to one another to make a cohesive concerted effort to produce music that was pleasing to the audience and the judges. The less contention among the members of any group and the more effort to be in 'concert' the better for all involved.

6. Dan Millheim

Dan Millheim Pianissimo User

Sep 4, 2004
    Fort Worth ,TX
    Not sure if this has been mentioned but one way to be polite about it would be to practice your tail off and beat him out for his chair so you can play the solo's how you hear them in your head! Of course you would do all of this without emotion and always with a smile on your face...just a thought.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Talk to your conductor about your concerns, and be willing to accept his decisions. You will have planted a seed, and in the meantime give the Maynard clone your total musical support, and practice your tail off.

8. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Re: Playing as a team

Lou,

Thanks for chiming in. I'm a Michigan native so it's always good to hear from home.

We usually are pretty cohesive too, it's just this one song. Uh!

I'll get over it.

9. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hi Dan,

Although I apprieciate where your coming from I'll never sit in the 1st section in this community band.

We don't beat others out or audition for seats in the band. When I came in I was asked what part I wanted to play. I choose 3thd as it had been 20 years and I was just getting back into it.

Little did I know that I would never move from that spot. Our conductor seems to have his "go to guys" in the 1st section so it's kind of an elitest club if you will. Now this is not to say that our 1st players are not qualified. Conversely they are very qualified.

It would take me years to become proficient enough to unseat this player. He played in a major university and is a strong player. I'm just not on the same page. I just wish he could see what seems to me to be so obvious.

10. Jhorn229h

Jhorn229h Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2006
    Do community bands have artistic committee's?

J