So how do you respectfully critque another Trumpet Player?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eclipsehornplayer, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Jhorn229h

Jhorn229h Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2006
    Try not to get bitter about it. Try to have fun! Isn't that the whole point of community groups? If not, what's the point of doing it?

J

2. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hey J,

Oh I'm not bitter. I was just saying that even if I had the motivation and drive to try to "beat him out" for his seat it would not happen.

I'm very happy just to have a place other then my practice room at home to play. :-)

I guess I just expect more from a University educated musician when it comes to certain things. You'd think with his background that he'd see the stylistic difference and change mouthpieces.

This is all I'm saying, nothing more.

I'm happy to be a member of the band and will grin and bear it. :grouphug:

3. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    We have a trombone player in my church orchestra who is just terrible. It's not just that he can't play well....he can't play well and is loud and is super sensitive when the conductor asks him to adjust anything. He missed an important entrance once because he forgot to unlock his slide. We stopped and he explained this to the music minister. She said "God works that way sometimes". :lol:

4. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Good one :D

5. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    Community Band Seating

In our Community Band, seating is a mixture of seniority, personal assessment of ones ability level at any given time, section leader / conductor recommendations and balance needs.

When new players come in, we get a feel for their experience/ability and assign them a part to read for that rehearsal. Afterwards I give my input to the conductor as to the suitability where in the section they should play. After speaking with the person about how comfortable they were during the rehearsal, and the needs of the section, then we prepare a folder for that person.

Generally this works well for us. Feelings don't get hurt, reality based decisions are made and things are always open for adjustments later.

When I first joined the band 23 years ago, they had 22 trumpets and needed trombones so I played 3rd trombone part. At some point the numbers in the trombone section grew and the trumpets needed a couple of players so I played 3rd cornet (2 years). Over time, with attrition and opportunity I moved up to the middle of the section and eventually 2nd chair. My best friend was principal (founding member of the band also). When he passed away, I sat in his chair and have ever since (14 years now)

Bottom line is that people have to put egos aside and be willing to work with each other with the best interests of the band of primary importance.

When I was ill a couple of years ago with chemo and radiation, I played all the concerts (missed some rehearsals however) but others took up the slack as for leading the section and with solos etc. They did a fine job and now that I am back, things are back to normal.

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    That is it!

7. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Re: Community Band Seating

That's great Bill. I wish we did things in this manor.

That's not to say that our band does not sound good; rather we sound great but our skill levels should be considered when it comes to seating.

I'm not complaning though, I am the section lead for the 3thd trumpet section. We don't see a lot of lead figures as you can imagine. I'm geeked because were doing John Phillip Sousa's Semper Fidelis March. I don't know if Sousa hated his third trumpet/cornet players or loved them but this piece has all the leads in the third section so I've had to really rise to the challenge to keep from having one of the 1st players ascend from the 1st section into the third for this piece. I'm proud of myself for that but must admit to having help (Thanks Alex!) :D

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    You must resist at all costs attempts by the 1st players to cover your 3rd part for you. This resistance can usually take a mildly active form: such as reversing their 1st and 3rd valves when they're on break, to passive as in either asking if they'd like you to play the lead while they play 3rd OR refusing to play anything in the piece if they insist on always "helping you out", to very active; such as simply shooting them....

The most humiliating (for them) is to suggest (loudly) that they learn to play their own parts before they try to learn yours. :twisted:

To tell the truth, this last was once done several years ago (before I joined) in our C.B. It was an honest statement and long overdue but still left a bad taste "all around". The two parties involved will no longer have anything to do with each other and will not sit in the same band; they'll quit first.

9. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Ed,

Tips noted..... :twisted:

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Wow, you guys are evolving to Vulgano Style thinking! Play your fannies off on your part, be the bridge across the sections and let the first player use you as a cushion so that you can help him deliver the message. Apart from that and talking honestly and openly with your director and slashing the first player's tires there is nothing left to do.