So how do you respectfully critque another Trumpet Player?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eclipsehornplayer, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Boy this is starting to take on a "darker" tone....

Tips noted... But I have to say that I don't think it would come to that..

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Sorry about my part in that. Passive Aggresives can get advanced degrees too!

3. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Rather then start another thread I thought I'd post this here.

I was amazed, our first trumpet player in a surprise move used a different mouthpiece for his solo during the concert and it sounded 100% better!

I don't know why he did it, but I'm glad he did.

If I find out why I'll post it.

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Perhaps the band director had a word with him. Better yet, he may have just done it on his own.

ML

5. Jhorn229h

Jhorn229h Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2006
    Maybe he lurks on the TM after all!

:D

J

6. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I don't know if he does or not. I've not made any of our Trumpet players aware of TM but you never know.

I guess I'd be surprised if he had as he is a MD and I would think that he has little time available for surfing the web!

But you never know!

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey John! Sorry I am arriving late on this, but I was out of town.

Whoa! You sure received a big bag of suggestions here. Good going TM! :-)

I guess this is all late advice, but keep it in mind for the next time.

I am glad to hear the mouthpiece change happened without you having to resort to "other tactics". Please, don't ever sit in your chair and shake your head while someone is playing. NEVER. (I didn't think you would do that anyway, but just in case, I had to say that.) Also, in such situations, I would not talk to the conductor either. That is reserved for principals and even then, it is a solution that should rarely be used. Since this is a community group, it is best to enjoy what you can and learn from the things you don't like. Hearing the canary being shoved through a straw certainly made you more aware of your sound and what you want to produce with your trumpet as a musician. It's all good. You are progressing as a player and musician which enhances your enjoyment. That is what matters.

Oh, and Toots was spot on. We, being "damned yankees", will always get a bit of an attitude in the deeper pockets of the south. It is how it is. Where I am living, there are many Californians, Jersey folk and New Englanders, so I don't feel so alienated anymore. When I was teaching and playing in Columbus years ago, it was a different story. LOL. Heck, they had my number just because I walked fast and talked fast. It just makes me laugh more than anything. I know us northerners sometimes are not too friendly about our perceptions of the south either. :D

I am glad you are doing well John. See you soon!

8. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Thanks for your kind words Alex!

I owe most of it to you, maybe just a little to me! ;-)

Nah, I would never shake my head while another player is playing a solo. I think that would be just rude.

Thanks everyone for good advice!

9. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    So here's the deal.

I spoke with the 1st trumpet player last night and told him that he sounded fantastic on his solo and inquired what he had done that was different from the practice room.

In short he made some changes himself is what he told me.

He then surprised me and complemented me on my performance in Semper Fidelis as the 3thd trumpet, well actually Cornet but we play trumpets, had all the leads in that piece and he told me that I nailed them.

What a nice surprise. I'm fortunate to play with some very good musicians and I'm having a blast!

10. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    John wrote:
    BROWN NOSE!

Hey John, glad it's working out! (I hope)

-cw-