So...how much do you play? WOW

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dcbrown1, Oct 15, 2005.

1. dcbrown1

dcbrown1 Pianissimo User

Oct 1, 2005
    Just, again, listened to the Monette website tracks. You blow-em all away. Wow! Living in Milwaukee...I'm looking forward to getting up to the cities to hear you play live. Anyway...question of the day....how many hours a day (let's forget the natural talent for a minute) does it take to play the way you play. Wow.

Dave Brown

2. loweredsixth

loweredsixth Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2005
    Fresno, California, USA
    Manny really isn't that good. Those clips were the only times he's ever sounded good...he just happened to be at the Monette shop that day. :D

Seriously, he is THE MAN! And I'm not even an orchestra-type guy.

Joe Lewis

3. Trumpet Hobo

Trumpet Hobo Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2005
    Minnesota
    Manny IS good :soap: !

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Nah, Joe's right... I just happened to have some really good Indian food that day.

First, thank you for your kind compliments. That's alway appreciated and never taken for granted.

Second, let's not put talent aside, anyone's talent. Here's why:

Do some people have a talent for understanding rhythms, hearing pitches, and creating new musical ideas and recreating what they hear? Yes, but I firmly believe that with excellent teaching, not just good teaching almost anyone can develop at least ONE of those traits and express themselves musically at a relatively high level. As I say, it takes superior, methodic instruction and a willingness to learn.

Once those things are in place the repetition of practice truly takes an effect and the time put in is meaningful. In other words, two hours of slurs and long tones are pretty meaningless if you haven't heard a single note you played because you're only paying attention to your lips.

My best days are when I can get three hours of practice, scattered thoughout the day not in a row. Two hours is great, too. One hour works but i find I don't get to do new things as much as when I have nore time. I love experimenting with sounds, approaches, learning new repertoire, revisiting old stuff. Most frequently, I'm relegated to an hour, I get two hours in a couple of times a week. It all has to do with the schedule at work. In an ideal world, I'd like two hours a day.

Wheni was younger and in school, I played all the time. I just loved it. It was all I knew how to do well. You get older, married, have kids and these things require time. You have to be clever about how you use your time in order to keep improving. With the death of Mr. Vacchiano I find myself revisiting some ideas I haven't thought about for a while and it's been a wonderful thing for me in light of sad circumstances.

By the way, Trumpethobo: It's nice having you in my corner.

ML

5. bigdog

bigdog Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2005
    hawaii
    aloha, personally i'd like to play everyday / trumpet on the stand next to the keyboard, watching the tv and figuring the themes and tunes from the different shows and movies that are on..............but , i work 12+ hour days, commute 20-30 minutes both ways, 5 days a week / try to gig with the two bands i'm in when the other members don't have football or soccer with their kids, i guess that means no gig today,hence the buzzing with the mouthpeice in the car and getting to the horn at least 20 minutes a day ,making sure the next breath i take isn't a yawn......................
    wish i was 16 again...................... c*ap
    mahalo for reading,

( * = r )

6. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    Very true! Thanks Manny!