So, how was your Easter gig?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Happy Easter, everyone!

I had a fun gig at a local Catholic church... my one and only church gig since last year. I played with good players and the leader of the job did a fantastic job of navigating through a maze of music with minimal mishaps that went unnoticed by the congregation. So, no disasters to report, I'm afraid.

But...

... I know there are some of you that just waiting to tell about flat/ sharp organs, horrible singers, poor organists that try to conduct also, oddly dressed parishoners...

... c'mon... fess up. It's good for the soul.

Man, I have a feeling this is going to be a good thread.

ML

2. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Well, I kinda....didn't.....have a gig this year, nope just chillin at home. Although my friend and I were bored so we are now doing a 30 hour famine. Can't wait to play in a completely empty stomach.

Although One year I had to put on a choir robe which was pretty constricting an uncompfrtable. That's about all I got when it comes to Easter gigs. Sorry :dontknow:

Happy Easter everyone and God Bless
    Eric

3. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    Wouldn't that be messy? :shock:

The acoustics would probably be a bit damp as well, I would imagine.

On a more serious note, I had my first Easter gig ever today...I could've played louder, but I was afriad to drown out the singers (even if they were flat and dragged everything and couldn't count....)

All in all it was a great way to praise God!

Happy Easter, y'all!
    Lara[/b]

4. Bugler997

Bugler997 Pianissimo User

Mar 22, 2005
    VA
    Well, I didn't have an Easter gig this time, but I played on Palm Sunday. Nothing notable happened.

Christmas '03 I guess it was, I was playing during an organ/vocalist/trumpet thing. My valve was sticking, so I oiled it; I didn't have as much time as I thought I did, so I basically had to play a passage or two with the valve not screwed in - no time to. That was fun.

Also, I love it when I hit a wrong note (give me a break, I'm sightreading), and in the process of "finding" the right one, I do a trill or turn or something, and everyone thinks it was on purpose and likes it.

And oh yeah, happy Easter!

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Two services on Easter went well.
    Last night I played second trumpet with a small orchestra. The guy playing first played well in the lower register but when he went up high, watch out. He must play full time in a big band.

The guy playing first violin turned around a couple of times.

6. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    Went great, played a wonderful version of " I know that my Redeemer lives" and of course "Chris the Lord is risen today" and 3 or 4 other hymns, just me and the organ, get a little practice playing in the key of G :D .

7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yeah, apparently at the easter Vigil service last night, which I didn't play,
    the bass trombonist didn't get the word that one of the tunes was going to be performed in D major, not Db as printed.

Oh, my...

ML

8. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    My only complaint this year was syncing up with the singer. I was in the organ loft at the back of the church and the cantor was on the alter. BUT, the organ was close to being intune (the whole time, even), the organist was solid and organised, I got paid in full and on time and they invited me back for next year with a modest raise.
    And the icing on the cake? The church was about two blocks away from the best burrito place in New England: Anna's Tacaueria. :lol: I gave up burritos for lent, so this was an extra special coincidence.
    Happy Easter,
    Jimi

9. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Heh, I may actually have a new one. I had two gigs this morning, with the same bunch. We performed a morning service at A&M Methodist, a beautiful church with vaulted ceilings and a pipe organ (this happens to be the same church that the A&M University bands hold their Xmas concerts in every year). Anyway, this one went pretty well. The music director did an excellent job directing us through some tricky rallentandos.

Then, came the one which sticks in my mind. See, somebody had the idea that they should have a community Easter service outside at an amphitheater. Nice idea, especially considering the amphitheater has good acoustics. Unfortunately, we had a cold front hit last night. Friday, it was 80. Saturday, 75, today 50. Oh, and don't forget the joys of trying to read your music in, oh, say 20 mph winds. To make matters just THAT much more fun, we were using an electronic keyboard, so cold weather doesn't exactly throw those things outta tune. Pretty much throughout the sermon we were sitting there blowing hot air like blast furnaces through our horns. Despite all that, we managed to blend and stay in tune pretty well.

10. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    My Easter gig was a lot of fun, but brutal. A 6:30 AM run-through, then 3 services, all contemporary music. The second tune we did was this Latin/Samba thing, complete with Tower of Power/type horn licks. We run the piece in dress rehearsal, then the MD asks me if I could bring the volume down a bit. Sure, no problem. I can play high F#'s mezzo-piano :roll:

But I did compromise. I left the F#'s where they were, since the choir was not singing at those moments, and took down some other licks that occured while they were singing. It's nice to know that 2 trumpets and 2 trombones, un-miked, can drown out a 30 voice, miked and amplified choir :D

But it was fun, and I am baked. We did have to do the obligatory "Jesus Christ is Risen Today", but it was not your typical "Lutheran" arraingement.....

Happy Easter, everybody!

Mike