So, how was your Easter gig?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    church gig.

So we all know how we love our soundmen on gigs....

I had an Easter gig this mornin' at the church I work for. It's a big church and we rented out the USA (United Spirit Arena, bball court) to hold services. There were about 8 or 9 thousand in attendance, not counting TV. Anyways, so we are there for our soundcheck and goin' through the motions ya know. First thing my second player says to me is: "Tim, look at the mics dude." Shure enough (pun intended), they were using percussive mics for the whole ensemble (jazz band meets orchestra). So without further ado, here is my transcription on the soundman:

SM: "Uh, tubas... you sound really low. Can you sound higher?"
    Tuba: "Sound higher? what do you mean... this is a bass instrument. It's posed to sound low."
    SM: "oh...."

SM: "Trumpets, you are awefully loud, can you play quieter?"
    Grady looks at me "How quite does he want a dubba g?"
    Me: "Dunno, why don't you ask?"
    Grady: "Uh, Mr. Soundman, we have some high parts here. Can't you just turn down our output on the mics?"
    SM: "Turn down.... oh... yeah, yeah, I'll do that."

Don't even let me get started about the mix in the headphones!! lolol

And it keeps going.. No lie. This dude is supposedly a PROFESSIONAL soundman!! I garuntee he didn't know a single thing about music. It was such a blast. Overall though, things ran smoothly and we had a GREAT show complete with lights and smoke and mirrors! lol. And you know what's even better? They paid directly after the show, don't have to wait a week for a check to come in the mail. Goodtimes.

2. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    both of my easter gigs went very smoothly today, nothing to notable. it was my palm sunday gig that was out of the ordinary. I had to play with a, lets call them undertrained, choir, a music director who wouldnt know a eith note from a tuba and a midi computer as accompaniment. I have no problem tranposing descant parts on the spot, its doing it in three tempos at once that throws me off.

3. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA

Haha, Chris the Lord, I think I know him
    :bleah:

Peace
    E.

4. Kristine

Kristine New Friend

Nov 3, 2004
    Texas
    Wow...

I'm Catholic, and well...I played at the Easter Vigil and both Masses on Sunday.

It went something like this...

I knew it was going to go bad after the trumpet player next to me didn't play any of the five sharps in the key signature. (This was transposed from organ music.) My stand partner was missing a page from his music...the brass section's music was all in different keys... This is because the Music Director prints the music on his computer program that transposes music. The bassoon player was lost half the time relying on the bass clarinet player who had a different part. The cellist behind them was doing their own thing. No one was in tune...and no one wants to hear you play if you ain't in tune. It was crowded and hot. My sister started getting really cranky (well she would cuz she's a oboe player) and the oboist sitting next to her was so sharp she was a different note. The music was so unclear cuz there were no dynamics or articulations so everyone was doing their own thing. Of course the congregation thought it went decently. And when the bassoon skipped a beat, he basically threw everyone else off causing the director to tell everyone to skip that beat. The clarinet players were in tune...but not with the flutes or either was the flutes in tune with anyone else. The strings had "creative bowing" as my mama likes to put it (she's a fiddle player). And do not get me started with those singers...I'm not a singer but I kinda figured it'd be sorta like an orchestra or a band...blending with each other and tuning good. But it was the complete opposite ::shudders:: you could hear solos and people off key...I wanted to crawl under a rock and die. My little sister (who has very sensitive ears) looked back at me and her eye was twitching. It got real bad to the point where she put down her oboe on her chair and went and lied down on one of the pews in the back. Oh and of course, the Music director was mostly conducting the choir, and half the time was playing piano. He would cue the singers and I'd get confused because I'd think he'd be cuing me! Tha'ts cuz the singers were behind me. Wow that felt better. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. We played in the dark a majority of the time in the vigil and boy was that a disaster. My sister told me that the bassoon player put his candle in his horn and almost lost it. (There was a circular part of paper surrounding the candle so wax wouldn't get on people's hands.)
    Overall it was fun...I think...
    That was just the Vigil...Easter went better!
    Happy Easter everyone!

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Kristine,

Somehow, I knew we could count on you.

ML

6. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Oh Lord.................

7. Greg5850

Greg5850 Pianissimo User

Jan 10, 2004
    WI
    Easter gigs both went well today HOWEVER, a couple years ago I was in a church group consisting of some semi-professionals, some college students, some high school students and some "used to be" players- the kind you all have been in.

The trumpet/cornet section was sounding just awful and I politely asked if we could stop and check everyone's tuning. As we went down the line things were pretty good until we got to one middle aged lady who was at least a half-step sharp The director kept telling her to 'pull out more', but her slide was almost falling off her horn.

Looking down the line at her equipment I noticed that her mouthpiece seemed really tiny, so I asked her if she had a cornet mouthpiece in a trumpet.

She pulled it out and said "I don't know, but it feels really good!"

I explained to her that she couldn't use that mouthpiece and play in tune with the rest of the group.

She replied, "but it feels really good !"

Someone finally gave her a trumpet mouthpiece, and although the intonation was never great, it was a lot better! (although I'm sure it didn't feel nearly as good!)

Happy Easter
    Greg

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I just finished up a week of fun.

Monday - Played with a special choir at our Catholic church for the diocese Chrism Mass with the Bishop and 80+ priests in attendance plus another 700+ in the pews. Accompanied the choir but the highlight was playing Vivaldi's trumpet concerto for two trumpets with my HS director. It went very well.

Tuesday - Swing Street rehearsal.

Wednesday - Took a van load of 8th graders to Eden Prairie to hear Maynard Ferguson and his Big Bop Band. It was a total gas!!

Thursday - Sang / Cantored with our Catholic church choir and played trumpet on several tunes.

Friday - Cleaned the 'new' Olds C horn.

Saturday PM - Sang with our Catholic church choir and played trumpet on several tunes.

Sunday 9am - Accompanied organist at local Methodist church on 4 tunes.

Whew! - Just got back from a day of visiting our folks! Time to relax!

Greg

9. timcates

timcates Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2004
    Texas - USA
    nothing too out of the ordinary here - yesterday I did a two hour rehearsal at a Catholic church in the AM and played the Easter vigil last night - with a synth for an organ (building project....) with really bad reharmonizations (you know the ones I'm talking about - where the arranger uses every trick/device in the book to mangle the hymn and generally tries to make it unrecognizable... just some really bad writing/note assigning) and a really sharp choir singing right in my ear with a lay person attempting to conduct and mostly geting in the way. But a pretty good quintet and not too bad all in all.

Then this morning at my home church (I'm the instrumental director and get to play) for a rehearsal and two services with a brass ensemble doing everything from piccolo descants to a fanfare from Firebird Suite to lead into Christ the Lord is Risen Today (really cool, BTW), with some rock/pop stuff thrown in for good measure - a really fun service.

He is risen!

Tim

PS - this week I get to change hats and play jazz all week - combo on Monday, rehearsal Tuesday with big band for the weekend jazz festival - then adjudicating 40+ HS and college bands Thursday-Saturday and playing at jam sessions/evening concerts (the Saturday show is with Wayne Bergeron...should be fun - if you're in Texas and want more info - shoot me an email) - TC

10. Kristine

Kristine New Friend

Nov 3, 2004
    Texas
    Are you serious? I love jazz!

Post it up!