So, how was your Easter gig?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Mar 27, 2005.

1. timcates

timcates Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2004
    Texas - USA
  2. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Let's see...Monday I had my lesson with ML...best money I ever spent on my horn.

Tuesday...taught lessons

Wednesday....lessons

Thursday...Jazz rehearsal from 6-8:30, Quintet rehearsal from 9-11:30

Friday....practiced for teh Easter gig.

Saturday...reherasl from 10am-noon for easter gig, performance at Rocch Assmbly of God church with my Quintet from 4-6pm.

Sunday -- Now, isn't that what we all wanted to know??? After spending three weeks calling ever trumpet player on earth I knew of who lived in the area, I finally settled late the week prior on a trombone player at the local college who also happens to play trumpet. I can't beleive how many trumpet players had easter gigs this year!!!

Anyway, I played three services between 8 and noon. We played five to sex pieces at each service with a couple stretching into the concert D above high C. Now here's a lesson I learned the hard way this morning: When the music drector gives you parts for both Bb and C trumpet, make sure you bring ONLY the part you're actually going to play with you to the gig. Transposing your C trumpet down from the Bb part without any practice is not a fund chore.

I promised the guy next to me I would play it in the right key by the next service!

First of all, I must thank Manny for opening my eyes a bit this week. I would never have made it through "Praise the Lord" and "Hallelujah Chorus" three times today if it weren't for some encouragement and advice I received. And as for Hallelujah, let me just say that you do not want to play it as slow as we did!!! Apparently it's tradition at this particular church to have the congregation sing that piece, but they simply cannot sing it at the proper tempo.

The other problem is a bit more embarassing considering we're sitting up at the front of the chappel for all to see:

Those who read the sleep-apnea thread know my condition, which I haven't gotten treated yet. Needless to say, I woke with a throbbing headache today and didn't feel like I had slept a wink. Midway through the second service, the pastor is giving his sermon and I'm drifting away...Suddenly I feel a tapping on my leg. The guy next to me smiles and suggests I wake up before I start snoring too loud....

sigh...

I got paid well, any way.....

3. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    SEX pieces?

Just what were you doing?

:lol:

4. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    ...well that explains why the guy next to me exclaimed afterward, "I would have PAID to get to play this, it was so much fun..."

er...maybe the brain damage is starting to set in already...

5. riffdawg2000

riffdawg2000 Pianissimo User

Jan 9, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    First off, let me say that I am extremely grateful for my teacher hooking me up with this gig .... I have done it for two years now and really enjoy performing with my instructor's kids from a local University! All class-A players and nice as can be!
    :soap:
    But if I heard that little organists telling us to quit 'missing' notes ... I was about to choke him! :x Considering the fact 'his' interpretation of certain pieces did not include the NOTES WRITTEN ON HIS PART! No joke, it ain't gonna sound right if we play what is written ... and you go on some mental sabbatical! :bash: Heck, even the Minister of Music looked at him several times... and...us with an expression that looked like WTF! :shock:

Anyhow .... great gig, great people (even the organists - when he is NOT playing), and a great time!

:D

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    After reading all of your posts about your Easter gigs, both the good ones and the bad ones, I'm a bit jealous because alas, I have not had an Easter gig on trumpet for quite some time. (Last year I played drums and that went well)

I have had both good gigs, where everything was very professional, the caliber of musicians was high, the music was fantastic and everything just rolled right off as expected. I have also had horrible gigs where the choir director is...less than organized (or some villiage was missing their idiot!) the overall level of musicianship was poor, the music was hokey, etc.

But if at the end of the day you still get your check(s) and none of them bounce, then at least SOMETHING must have gone right! :D