So I blew the audition, what now

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, Sep 24, 2007.

1. trumpetera

trumpetera Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2006
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    No, I didn't misinterpret your post! :) All cool!

Your post made me realize, though, that MY post could be interpreted as beeing "one of the bashers", wich I do NOT want to be!

Cheers from a rainy gothenburg! (thank god there's whisky!)

2. mholliday

mholliday New Friend

Apr 18, 2007
    baltimore, maryland
    Cheers, I Hope To Hear From You Soon.

3. wunderhorn

wunderhorn New Friend

Sep 25, 2007
    But how do I find out who the very best breeder is???? How do I get past the waiting list??? Waiting lists are unfair! What Method should I use to housetrain it and what consistency should its poo be? Will it freak out if I switch from a small water bowl to a big bowl? And most importantly, where can I see what kind of dog Bud Herseth has so I can buy the same kind and carry the leash in the same hand.

4. trumpetera

trumpetera Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2006
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    You, my friend, made my day! (night in Gothenburg, actualy)

5. mrtrpt

mrtrpt New Friend

Sep 23, 2007
    Wow, I didn't think my first post would gather such a response... I come back a few days later and look what I find... After reading all the posts I think that it may have been a few others who were dong the "bashing". But this post I quoted above is right in line with what my original point was. I was trying to point out in a polite way that I thought it was a little harsh to be so hard on the people who didn't "make the cut" (this was back in the Atl Audition thread). The point being that you can be a great player and still screw up something basic. It really doesn't matter how good you are, period. That was my point with the pro athletes, they are the best athletes in the world and at the biggest moments, some of them choke...! That's why you play the game. If we just looked at who the best team is on paper and handed out championships then...well, I think you get the point. Even the best players can make the simplest mistake(s).

Now that doesn't imply that missing one note is going to make or break an audition, BUT, I have heard directly from people who sat on major auditions that they kicked people out in the first round because one specific interval in on specific excerpt was to wide. Or they were listening intently for how one specfic rhythm was played and it was a little off...

My point being again, the same as what I quoted above, that no one is perfect everyday of the year. And the pressure of the situation changes everything. Playing the job is totally different than auditioning for the job. And that previous sentence is not "my" opinion, I've heard almost every player with a big job say that...

I've been to masterclasses and/or recitals of guys who have huge jobs and their rhythm was not perfect on every single lick and their intonation was not spot on every second, but I thoroughly enjoyed the performance. Unfortunately in a first round of a major audition that might or might not pass you, it depends on a million factors out of your control...

How about the story of the principal horn player from a major orchestra who ananymously took an audition for a local regioal orchestra and didnt' get past the first round... I mean the list goes one with examples. Even Tiger woods misses a "gimmee" once and a while. And he gets to play in tournaments all year, how often does one get to audition? Even if you took every audition you possibly could, it still wouldn't be close. The best you can do is do as many mock auditions as possible, but that's still not the real thing. And I'm sure that the people who do these things probably do fairly well... But if you're playing a full time gig already how much time do you have to do all these things year round year in and out waiting for that big audition to come up...?

As someone already said, this was not a cattle call audition. Resumes were required meaning that the players going had already proven themselves to a certain level. So it's a little like calling out the players who don't make the cut at the Masters after the first two rounds...well...they at least got to play.......

One more thing... I think it's hard to really come down on the "young players" who don't have it "all together" like the players back in "the day", since last time I checked the people who have been doing really well at auditions lately are pretty darn young... and if you don't know who they are then, well...

So anyways, I digress. I don't think there was anything disrepectful in my first post and I hope that my second post clarifies my position even further.

MR

6. Ichierzen

Ichierzen Pianissimo User

Sep 22, 2007
    When I read the thread about the Atlanta auditions, I was so astounded that I sent a copy of the results to my private teachers, who has been nearly anal about it since the beginning of time, lol, but now I know its ever the more relevant.

It may have been possible for me to make that audition, lol. I'm incredibly surprised that that's the state of the current market right now. I thought the level of playing was much higher. By the sounds of it, I could have beaten these guys right out of high school!

To the original poster of this thread and his points, I can't agree more, and I think its a shame if that's truly the case. I was expecting something more competitive in nature than that.

"So, I blew the audition, what now"

If you're truly passionate about playing, figure out what you did wrong, if someone won't tell you (can someone tell you why? I've never auditioned yet, still going through the collegiate training) and fix it. If playing truly is your dream, as is mine, never give up, and never let someone say no. That's universal for whatever your dream is, too. Never give up. Fix it, and try again. Do something different. Work harder. Someday, your day will come if you do those things.

The best thing you can do is find a teacher, or even a friend who you feel comfortable with and who knows something about music, and practice with them. Don't let them tell you what you did wrong, but tell THEM what you did wrong. Then, find out how to correct it, and move to the next thing. That's what I'm being taught, and I think it's ever so important, because I've been told that when you're out there, no one's going to tell you when you screw up, or what, mostly out of respect. So if no one's going to tell you, you've got to.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hey guys,

all of the viewpoints have their own merit, but what will help the player that got dismissed?

1) a review of ones playing - do I have the basics properly covered
    2) enough rest. Sleep is your best friend during stressful times!
    3) proper preparation. Quality recordings of the excerpts expected, if possible study the score and talk to a conductor about the "details". Not everyone on the panel is a trumpet player!
    4) If you can avoid it, no piccolo trumpet recitals around audition time - it does change your perspective of sound, articulation and dynamics.
    5) concentrate on BEAUTIFUL at any dynamic
    6) find critical listeners (especially non trumpet playing ones). You will be amazed how much help IS available if you ask.
    7) attitude check.

8. jpellett

jpellett New Friend

Apr 20, 2005
    Atlanta
    Don't kid yourself. Tom gave a list of a few of the problems that people had, but he didn't say the playing was awful. I really doubt that you played completely in tune with yourself out of highschool or had a great understanding of how each excerpt fit into the overall piece. The things he talked about can always be refined further. I thought I had a decent grasp on all these things until I started studying with Tom, at which point I realized how much work I have to do.

Jason Pellett

9. Ichierzen

Ichierzen Pianissimo User

Sep 22, 2007
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's super easy or anything, but those were the last things I expected to find as results, considering those are the most stressed where I'm attending. I'm not perfect, that's why I'm attending higher education, I just think its a shame that THOSE are some of the problems, especially with all of the technology today. You could easily put an excerpt into Finale, and I would expect that they all had listened to multiple recordings of a piece.

10. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    If you are still in college and have never showed up to a major audition you might want to keep the kind of comments I read a couple of posts up to yourself. It sounds like you have no idea the level of competition you are in for when you get out of school.