So I blew the audition, what now

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, Sep 24, 2007.

1. mazzrick

mazzrick Pianissimo User

Sep 16, 2005
    Berlin, Germany
    two things...

firstly--- I find it funny that we talk about orchestra playing as the pinnacle of musical experience when string players view it as a punishment and would rather do something more artistically beneficial.

secondly--- orchestral musician has the 2nd lowest job satisfaction of all jobs. The only one lower is prison security guard and only slightly higher is National Park Ranger (the job with the highest casualties of non-military jobs).

Also, I quote a former french horn player in the ensemble modern turned conductor. "I played in the Berlin Philharmonic once, they're rhythm was terrible. I played in the Orchestre de Paris once too, I guess they're rhythm was better cause there was none at all.

food for thought.

Matt

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    We know different players in different orchestras. The players in the east coast USA orchestras are, for the most part, proud to be in the orchestras they are in.........and did I mention that the pay is not bad at all.
    Wilmer

3. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007

'..we talk about orchestra playing as the pinnacle..'

Pardon the off topic question, but i was wondering about this myself. Is it the discipline and cooperative efforts involved that bring about this regard?

Thanks

4. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    I think it has more to do with the fact that the orchestra is the only place where we (trumpeters) get to play Beethoven, Mozart, Schubert, Brahms, Mahler, Bartok, etc.

5. jpellett

jpellett New Friend

Apr 20, 2005
    Atlanta
    I don't think I would want to play in an orchestra if there were 8 other people playing my part. The job of an orchestral string player and the job of an orchestral wind player are different.

Jason Pellett

6. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Jerry;

Wow this is priceless! I'm definately going to remember this and apply it everywhere!

Wilmer your statement was indeed priceless too!