So, I have this Tech friend......

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by A.N.A. Mendez, Dec 13, 2016.

1. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I sometimes send him horn projects, stuff beyond what I'm comfortable doing, or just don't have time for.
    Trick is he lives in Spain. Why would I send a horn to Spain ? He is VERY good, he also likes to buy stuff here in the States and many Ebayers don't ship over seas so he has them send it here, I pass it on to him so like once a month or so a box goes to Espana......Anyway....

So I tell him I have this Olds, has some issues with braces, school band director in the past (or some other non tech) loaded the braces up with like an ounce of solder piled under each brace. Anyway I ask him if he wants to put it back together, he's all OK with that.

So just to make it interesting I send him a photo of the the "project" (old bell I had saved for show and tell)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I say "no problem for you"
    He freaks out, what happened to that ? Truck run over it ?

Ha Ha !
    Anyway I sent another pic of the actual bell, not so bad. It was fun.....
    :-)

2. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    haha. A.N.A.Mendez, a nightmare to repair techs.. :evil:

I have seen worse though..... hehe.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    For a good tech, it is all only brass - a very formable material that can be easily manipulated. If you have a suitable mandrel, it is not even that much work to fix the bell. The worst repair in my opinion is stripped threads for the valve caps.

4. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I agree.. That is the one repair that is very tough. Or when the valve casings have been destroyed inside. Embarrasing to send a horn to Andersons only to have it come back with a note "sorry pal, too far gone"

5. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Piano User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    Do they really address you as "Pal" in those notes ?

Seems like it would be more appropriate as "Sport" or "Buster".

6. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    I'm not your friend, guy.
    I'm not your guy, buddy.
    I'm not your buddy, pal.

I'll refrain from posting the "Taco Bell" Chicago C here for the second time this week.

7. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Piano User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    I stand corrected. Clearly the correct appellation is "Ace".

8. Bflatman

Bflatman Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Apologies for hijacking this thread but I thought this account of what ensued after it was decided to play the oldest most precious trumpet in the world and have it disintegrate would be of interest in the context of difficult repairs to a trumpet.

When Tutankhamun, King of Egypt from 1332 to 1323 BC, was mummified and entombed in the Valley of the Kings a number of his possessions were sealed up with him in order to accompany him to the afterlife.
    They included a throne, a bed, a number of boards to play the game of Senet, statues, chests, vases, and two trumpets.

No such trumpets had ever been found in an Egyptian tomb before, or would be again.
    One trumpet was made of silver, and the other of copper. Both bore intricate designs, and were eighteen inches in length. After their discovery in 1922 they were taken to Cairo Museum.

They were played for the first time in over 3,000 years on April 16th 1939, six weeks after the death of Howard Carter, the archaeologist who had discovered Tutankhamun's tomb.
    One of the last surviving members of the party who opened the tomb was present at the sounding of the trumpets, which took place at the museum and was broadcast via the BBC worldwide to an estimated 150 million listeners. His name was Alfred Lucas, and he listened with what was later described as "agitation" as first the silver trumpet, and then the copper trumpet, was played by a Bandsman James Tappern of the 11th Hussars Regiment.

His agitation might well have sprung from the fact that, while a different Bandsman had been rehearsing (the trumpets were very difficult to play) weeks earlier, King Farouk I of Egypt had walked in and listened to the rehearsal.
    In his presence the silver trumpet had shattered, and had to be painstakingly reconstructed. The silver had crystallized over the centuries, leaving the trumpet as delicate as glass.

Reference - Copied from Mental_floss Odd Events.

Imagine the pressure on a trumpet repair tech when presented with the single existing and most precious solid silver trumpet from Tutankhamuns tomb, a priceless relic and being asked to repair it not even knowing if itcould be repaired easily given its delicate condition. I am filled with admiration for someone who would take on such a heavy responsibility.

It was said I believe that King Farouk commanded that the trumpet be immediately repaired as invisibly as possible and the incident not mentioned.

9. Pascalouisiana

Pascalouisiana Mezzo Piano User

Aug 29, 2015
    Abbeville, LA
  10. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Maybe it was "big shooter"

( "Big Shooter, a nickname I once gave myself" Cliff Clavin Cheers )