So I'm a little concerned

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Walt Pickle, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Walt Pickle

Walt Pickle New Friend

Jun 14, 2014
    I am concerned. I recently found an old cornet and have been teaching myself to play. From what I could tell, it was a C cornet. I matched it to the sound on my piano. I recently cleaned my horn after getting a new bottle of valve grease, and, when I put it pack together, it's now a Bb cornet? Lol. Like, all the songs I used to play along with are now a whole-tone off/lower. I've matched the C to my piano and it is now a piano's Bb. Did I do something? I must have?

Thanks for the help.

~walt

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    First, I'm always skeptical about a piano being in tune.

That said, it's true that when you attempted to play a middle C on the cornet, that is sounded like a lower Bb because that's what it was if the cornet is pitched in Bb. To compensate you must transpose and play a whole tone higher on the cornet vis a D and thereby all other notes you must transpose likewise a whole tone higher on Bb trumpet / cornet. Almost from the beginning I've been able to sight read this transposition from piano music.

3. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    From the photo you posted of your cornet in another post, it looks like it's able to be played in more than one key. You may have put it back together in the configuration that's set up for Bb when you put it back together.

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Agree with Flugelgirl; Have you included that top wrap into the flow?

So it sounds like a C/Bb cornet?? Cleaning does not change the length of tube

5. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Unless it´s the tubing on your jeans!

The long tubing on my jeans has been shortened by cleaning many times,
    and the upper, wider tubings are nowadays a lot more narrow than they
    used to be on ALL my jeans!

6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I'm afraid that if your cornet was made of all natural wool or cotton and had not been pre-washed, you're screwed. Oh, wait, that should have made it shorter, not longer. Perhaps it has some elastic fibers that got loose. Did you wash with hot water, cold rinse, or cold/delicate mode? In any case, stay away from tumble dry... :D

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Flugelgirl has it right. Play with the slide arrangement in the space between the mouthpiece and where the initial set of piping enters the valves. You should be able to shorten in back to C.

However, consider that perhaps elves snuck in and retuned the piano.

8. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    On a side note, this is probably not a great horn to be learning on.

If it is a multiple keyed horn, they are notoriously out of tune, as compromises have to be made on every aspect of the horn.

You may want to consider picking up a cheap Bb only cornet to continue your studies, as you will just be battling with the one you have.