So I'm back from band camp!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet blower88, Aug 6, 2005.

1. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Yup... My last highschool band camp (as a student)... It was so much fun and I learned so much more about trumpet, brass, marching, people, leadership, EVERYTHING!!! It was so much fun, way better than my last two years. My senior year is going to be so awsome, I can already tell. My trumpet section is great, as is the rest of the band, and drumline, and guard, and pit, I'm so excited for this year!

Anyways, I just wanted to say hello and that I'm back and that I had such a great time. Band Camp was so differant this year as a section leader and it really gave me a whole new perspective on band, music, leadership, and even life. It was really awsome to have all the new kids in band looking up to me and calling me their role model and whatnot. One of my new trupeters told me that these last 2 weeks were the best 2 weeks of his whole life and it was all partly due to me. It was so amazeing to know that people look up to you like that. Its just so amazeing.

All during the summer I was sort of dissapointed because our band didn't look that great on paper, we're about half the size as we were last year (200+ members), this year we have 113 total, and thats not very big. But the first time we played together with winds, perc, and guard... it was unbelievable! We've only been playing for about 2 weeks and we sound like we did last year at finals. I'm really excited about band this year.

Ok, so yeah, I should stop writting now because I could go on for hours, but I should really stop. So yeah, I just wanted to let everyone know I'm back and what a great time I had. Lots of it too is because of what I have leared from the people here on TM that I was able to take to my band, so thanks for that.

2. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    Sounds great man, i wish i enjoyed high school band like you do.

3. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    Our band camp was frekain' awesome too. We are actually growing lol! From 66 members to 81. Hehe. :-P

4. pmkt16

pmkt16 New Friend

Oct 24, 2004
    Chicago
    Our second session of band camp starts up again tommorow. I think we are sitting around 230 strong.

5. sublmbadfish

sublmbadfish Pianissimo User

Jul 9, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    hows prospect looking this season...same as always??

6. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    And what is your show this season?

7. trumpet blower88

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Our show this season is "The Hypar Effect". Last year a band from Tennesee took it to grand nationals and whent pretty far. I don't really like the reason we're playing it (my director thinks that since another band whent far with it, that we will), but non-the-less its a pretty sweet show, I love playing the solo in the ballad...

Unfortunaly this season all three of the main "band days" from the universities in the state are all during bad times and we arn't able to make it to any of them, but we might be going out to other states this year so everything is still looking pretty good. I think this is the best we've been in the 3 years I've been at Dobson (my highschool)...

8. pmkt16

pmkt16 New Friend

Oct 24, 2004
    Chicago
    Prospect looks better, sounds better, and is further into the show after the first band camp then we were last year after the second band camp. The show this year defintely rocks and most likely will become my new personal favorite show of all time. Our show this year has the theme of water; however, I don't know the exact title of the show. Our opener is Niagra Falls our ballad is Deep River and our closer is On the Waterfront with possible Niagra Falls reprise type thing at the end. It rocks!

9. trumpet blower88

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Nice! My Symphonic Band played Niagra Falls at Bands of America Concert Festival two years ago, that is one of my top 5 favorite pieces.

10. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    trumpet blower88,

I got a kick out of your post seeing that you are from Arizona. I've always enjoyed the Dobson Marching Band. I went to school in Tucson and in the early 80s your school was just fantastic (several hundred on the field every year).

Your current director played in one of my current ensembles for quite a few years (the Tempe Symphonic Wind Ensemble). I saw him several weeks ago in a reading orchestra in North Scottsdale (we were doing Capriccio Espagnole and Sibelius Symphony No. 2). He's a really fine player!

I'm pretty sure that at least one of the trumpet players in your section attends my church (Matt and maybe Ben). Your band went to Carnegie Hall in the spring, right?

Anyway, just interesting to see someone with similar ties here in the valley.

Have a great season!