So I've got this problem...or multiple ones...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Amberpants, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Amberpants

Amberpants New Friend

Jun 2, 2008
    In the small town of...
    ok so I take lessons and multiple lessons before that and they all say that I'm not using "aggressive air" or "not enough air" how do I fix that?

also there's this awesome jazz piece our band plays and I wrote this awesome lick to it, but whenever I tried to play it in front of the millions of people at the football game, I almost fell off the side of the bleachers from some weird event of not getting enough oxygen to my brain...what should I do for stage fright...or more like football stadium fright???

2. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Blow more air for question #1

Schwab likes this.
  3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Breathing is more than just inhaling and exhaling, creating the right posture can help one's playing immensely, a good start is the stuff on the monette site:
    David G. Monette Corporation

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    One approach I find useful comes from lead player extraordinaire Tony Scodwell, who speaks often of "attacking the horn."

Maybe this idea will help.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I too recommend the Monette info - it made a huge difference to me - and I find that my Monette B6 mouthpiece doesn't actually work unless I employ David's posture technique.

6. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    You must learn to breathe properly using a full column of support from your buttocks up through the chest. As Dizzy once said (pardon the French) "If your asshole ain't tight, you ain't doin' it right!"

Seriously though, find a teacher who understands and can impart to you, the proper technique for breathing. If you can't find a teacher, go to the library and find some literature on Hatha Yoga and study the breathing material.

bigtiny

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Amberpants,
    you know the answer to your question: a bigger breath. What you may not know is that you have a BAD habit (not breathing deeply and relaxed enough), and like any other BAD habit, it takes a very dedicated, patient approach to fixing that. Do a search on "circle of breath". That and the Monette site (and a ton of other things) info can work - IF YOU ARE SERIOUS!

If all that you have gotten out of your lessons is the "aggressive air" (that I DO NOT agree with) or not enough air, your teachers either have not done a good job of explaining, or you haven't paid attention. Maybe you need to address this with your teacher who has seen and heard you play!