So Many Problems!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Fool In The Rain, Jan 2, 2016.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    What does the teacher have to do with your practice time (how much and quality)? Even if you only practiced the same stuff from that last lesson for the months that the teacher has been gone, you would have been able to improve or at least maintain.

The truth is that YOU have not been respecting the direction that the "amazing" teacher gave you. Bad practice habits now have lead to serious playing problems and a mouthpiece is supposed to help.

Like I told Dennis, I wrote "if you were my student". You are not, so you have plenty of other options. If the only option is to keep the face trashed, then I guess you know what the result will be (although I consider this to be lying to yourself). If I was your trumpet teacher, I would explain to the school teacher in charge what was going on and work something out. They would have plenty to be happy about if you got your face straight. Never met a music teacher that didn't reward initiative and consequence. Met quite a few that "punished" mediocre however.

You need some dedicated building time and you are not going to get it by making excuses. YOU alone are responsible for motivation. You alone are responsible for how you play. You are alone are responsible for the direction that you take. You can crash and burn or wake up and do something about your situation. You can stay in band. If band is graded "every day", I don't know what you expect from an internet forum.

In any case, I know where you will be in 3 months, 6 months or a year from now. Prove me wrong!

p.s. Why can't highschoolers ask for help BEFORE Christmas break when they would have at least some additional time to work out stuff. We generally only get posts like this the beginning of January and September. Forget that I asked. I know why......

2. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    DennisOf78 I didn't take your post as disrespectful. I am a fairly old, set in his ways, anal retentive devotee of process, hater of blind actionism (like new mouthpieces). We need to take life by the horns on PURPOSE. If we have a great teacher, we do not need to think about as much. If we give a crap, we can carry on the momentum after the teacher goes. In this case, I knew what the problem was from the first post. Lack of purpose. What was the reaction to the great advice given by many here?
    . Ever found a trumpeter that got better by looking into something (like a new mouthpiece......)?

As far as time off goes, I never asked for that. I said a month with 2 lessons per week and at least an hour per day. Kind of like your boss sending you for advanced training in some area where you can really cash in afterwards.

It is always the question of how much spoon feeding is worth it. If a young adult is not capable of at least maintaining their playing after a summer of great lessons, they were (in my opinion) not paying attention. What are the odds of us turning this around? In any case with successful lessons last summer(only 5 months ago), there should be plenty of good stuff to practice already available.

Wait, EUREKA, I've got it: ask if someone has an extra 5C for cheap! That will solve all problems.

3. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    You da man Rowak!
    I came here with MP questions early on and you TOLD me! I got mad! I then did what you said about air support and plain old beneficial practice and found out I didn't have a mouthpiece problem but rather an amateur looking for a quick fix problem!

4. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Dennis,
    you can make me very happy by calling me Robin or Rowuk!

5. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Sorry my typing and spelling aren't the best
    Rowuk
    I think I can get that right from now on

6. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Robin is also very good!

7. Fool In The Rain

Fool In The Rain New Friend

Dec 28, 2015
    Indiana, USA
    Rowuk, I might be more inclined to take your advice if it were presented with more discretion. You can believe me a moron, but I ask that you at least try to refrain from openly chastising me.

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Well, the reason why you lost your mouthpiece can't be worse than that of a friend of mine who went to the loo during a longish (and drinkish) gig carrying his hooter, tried to pee through the mouthpiece (that shows the state he was in) and lost the mouthpiece into the loo. And as it was one of those automatic flush thingies, when he leaned forward to grab the mouthpiece, it was flushed out of his reach... unless it's the story of the female trumpet student who used her mouthpiece because she had mislaid her vibrator... and it slid in and had to be recovered surgically.

9. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    rowuk is one of the wisest men here on TM. His advice is worth it's weight in gold. But I agree that he can be very direct sometimes.

10. Fool In The Rain

Fool In The Rain New Friend

Dec 28, 2015
    Indiana, USA
    I admire him for his wisdom, but respect is more important to me than knowledge. If he's going to belittle me, I'm not interested in learning from him.