So Many Problems!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Fool In The Rain, Jan 2, 2016.

1. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Ok - first impressions. We've arranged the first skype lesson for tomorrow, and I already had a glimpse at the set of lips in question. No playing involved so far.
    But first impression is that there's a certain amount of residual muscle fatigue from overworking the lips. With the OP's permission, I will post more info tomorrow night.

2. Fool In The Rain

Fool In The Rain New Friend

Dec 28, 2015
    Indiana, USA
    Yes, sir. And thank you again

3. barliman2001

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    In many cases, "airy" tone - as rowuk and others have said - can be traced to insufficient breath control and trying to be ahead of your playing experience. Voice and breath tuition can usually help. And it's always a good idea for a trumpet player to know something about singing - Maurice André once said "Trumpet playing is singing without sore throats."
    If you're near to Bloomington and the Indiana University, my wife has a few good friends in the Jacobs School of Music there that can help you. I'll pursue that kind of approach after I've first heard and seen you play.

4. Fool In The Rain

Fool In The Rain New Friend

Dec 28, 2015
    Indiana, USA
    Perhaps you can demonstrate for me proper breathing technique over Skype. I know nothing of singing haha
    Bloomington is about 3 hours away from me

5. barliman2001

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    OK - prepare for a lengthy skype session.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Fool In The Rain (your own nickname - not mine). You make a mistake. I am not pandering for your inclination to take my advice. You are not my student, I have no claim to your success or failure. I offered you something for free that my students pay for. As far as disgression goes, we only "KNOW" what you have told us. The rest I guessed - and you acknowledged. As far as openly chastizing goes, look in the mirror. Shouldn't you be kicking yourself in the butt for having WASTED all of the good that you claim summer lessons gave you?

There should be no doubt in your mind now where the real issues are. You can be the hero of this thread by laying aside this notion that you are the victim and simply solving your problem in a very easy and sensible way that has been laid out in black and white by many more than myself. If you get grades for band, and those grades are a reflection of your performance, you have big advantages by not being indignant. Just get your ass in gear, prove what you are worth and let me know that I was wrong. I will apologize.

I would still like to know why you didn't post this BEFORE Christmas. The problems were surely as serious way back then. You would have had more time without other conflicts to get started. I believe that I know why but let me try disgression for a change.

By the way, respect is something earned. We all have the chance in both directions.

7. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    It ain't just Rowuk! All musicians are direct and trumpet players are downright nasty. You'll learn and then you'll enjoy and realize you're not being belittled just being dealt with like a man. We ain't gonna dance around anything

8. barliman2001

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    If a trumpet player's direct, then wait till you get advice from a bonist... that's something I don't wish onto my fiercest enemies!

9. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    The best lesson I have ever had was a 1/2 hour with the Bass trombone player from a symphony orchestra, he took me right back to fundamentals of breathing and sound, set me on the right track and I have never looked back.

Regards, Stuart.

10. barliman2001

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    ...which would be a sad mistake.