So this happened today at rehersal

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by just, Jan 7, 2015.

1. just

just Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2013
    Everywhere
    Hello everyone,

One a week I rehearse with my band. It's two hours long and it's not very high (nothing above high C, which is about what I feel comfortable) but I have to play very loud to even hear myself. Today I was playing and in about half an hour my lips have started to feel tired and not nice. The next half an hour has been very hard, without knowing why, my tone was forced and I was using too much mouthpiece pressure, I kept the playing although I wasn't feeling a bit comfortable. And then, all the sudden, just an hour after begining the rehearsal... something has happened, don't know what, and my air has started to flow nicely through the horn, the mouthpiece pressure was gone and my tone was nice and relaxed. I have really enjoyed playing that last hour even though I was playing top volume and I normally end those rehersals very tired.

Has something like that ever happened to you? It's has been like some kind of weir magic :shock:

Just

2. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    I have on occasion "got my second wind" during a long rehearsal, but never by blowing through it. I have to back off and play light and soft for a short time. (maybe a few pedal-tones if the rehearsal permits) But I have found myself shot during a rehearsal and then found myself finishing strong........

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I used to get a second wind on hour 3 of a 3-hour dance band gig. Hour 2 was always the most difficult, but hour 3 was easier for some reason. Don't know why, though.

4. therealnod

therealnod Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2014
    My guess from what I can surmise is that you made subconscious adjustments to the circumstances, perhaps even gradually. When I was a Junior in High School, I was part of the "Big Three" in my school band...the three best trumpet players in the state, all in one band. We were also in Jazz Band together, and we alternated who played lead because we could get away with it and it wouldn't wear anyone out. My senior year I was the only one of the Big Three left, so I was the sole lead player. We played frequent gigs, banquets and such, and they could be grueling. By the end I could sense that I was playing slightly differently but just as effectively. Not on purpose, but just making small adjustments. I usually didn't warm down until getting home (or back to the bandroom.)

5. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Hmm well I would be concerned personally. Magic doesn't happen.

6. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    You blew the hairball wad out of the leadpipe.

7. just

just Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2013
    Everywhere
    It felt so good, and just out of nowere... it totally saved my rehersal.

8. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
  9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That seems to be a common theme - I've experienced it many times, and I know that when I was playing Latin band, it was the same for the other guy I was playing with in the band. We'd both be sucking wind by the end of the second set, but for some reason we could lay the hammer down on the third set.

I experienced it on the last gig I played, just last month. By the end of the 2nd set, I was pretty much baked - it has been a night full of horns intensive tunes, and I came off the stage with a real question about how I was going to make it through the 3rd set. During the set break I hit the chocolate fountain for some chocolate covered strawberries and pineapple, along with a couple of graham crackers, and I sucked up a bottle of water, so those might have had something to do with it, but I played that 3rd set stronger than I did the first set.

10. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    It was the trumpet equivalent of the "Italian Tune-up" for a car. Hairball blown out.
    Ploooooooffff!!!