So this is how thery are dealing with it?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Oct 29, 2006.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Hey all

I was looking on the Canadian Brass website for the first time in forever. I seem to remember a thread on TM about their trumpet situation. Well I found this and I gotta say, it seems to be pretty obvious that they just seem to be having trouble getting people to commit.

http://www.canbrass.com/features/trumpetdreamteam.html

Eric

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Eric, I saw them live here in Lethbridge a few weeks back. I agree that historically they seem to have difficulties holding onto trumpet players (and even the horn) for any length of time. Perhaps the rigourous touring has a lot to do with that. Also, "reading between the lines", Chuck and Gene did say that one of their "missions" was to introduce quintet playing to a younger group and perhaps it is by design that they keep rotating the other members.

Joe and Brandon were on stage when I saw them and although I'd gone in anticipating a weakness in the high brass there sure wasn't any that I could find! I wouldn't be put off at all by their "rotating section"... when you get the chance go and see them! Joe has a facility on flugel that will blow you away and Brandon handles a pic like nobody's business.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I can imagine even with this illustrious formation, you reach a point where you have played most everything and start to look for other challenges. The Canadian Brass repertoire is definitely not small, but with hundreds of performances a year, you run out of new things. If this rotating formation can keep them fresh, everybody benefits!

4. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    I'm just sad to see that my favorite (ex)CB member isn't on that dream team. I think you all know who I am talking about ;-)

Eric

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I met them several times when they were at the peak - the classic combination of Fred Mills RIP, Ron Romm, David Ohanian, and of course Chuck and Gene. In fact, I managed to get all their autographs onto my signature case... together with Maurice André, Guy Touvron, Sergej Nakariakov, Jens Lindemann and Wynton Marsalis... Just waiting for Alison Balsom and Tine Thing Helseth. Al Porcino will hopefully sign next week!