So what album do you think should be in every trumpet players library?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrianP, Jul 19, 2010.

1. BrianP

BrianP New Friend

Jul 15, 2010
    So I am wondering what albums are considered must haves for trumpet players who are learning. If you could only have one trumpet album it would be? Thanks!

2. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    goz the great

3. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
    -
    Hot Five and Hot Seven - Louis Armstrong
    -
    Great Performances Haydn - Hummel - L.Mozart Trumpet Concertos - Wynton Marsalis
    -
    Bitches Brew - Miles Davis

Having just one album is a question of little substance...

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    If it had to be just one, I've always been partial to Wynton's album, "Baroque Music for Trumpets."

Amazon.com: Wynton Marsalis: Baroque Music for Trumpets: Antonio Vivaldi…

It's trumpet ensemble music where he recorded all the trumpet parts, but I probably logged more hours listening to this album than any other single trumpet album, with maybe the exception of Maynard Ferguson: Chameleon.

Another trumpet album I was partial to was Wynton's Baroque Music for trumpet, which was an album of Baroque solo trumpet works.

Amazon.com: Wynton Marsalis - Baroque Music for Trumpet: Johann Friedrich Fasch, George…

Last but not least, while it might not be a "trumpet" album, per se, I logged a lot of hours listening to The Empire Brass: A Bach Festival For Brass and Organ

Amazon.com: Bach Festival for Brass & Organ: Johann Sebastian…

There is some simply astonishing trumpet work that goes on in that album. I think what I like the best is that the two trumpets are so close in sound that there are times they switch off and unless you are listening through headphones, it's hard to tell when it happens. IMO it's one of the finest brass quintet recordings available, but then, I'm also partial to Baroque music.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    :worthy: Lee Morgan's "CANDY."

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Oh, for Big Band, I would suggest one of two albums. The first would be The Tonight Show Band, Volume 2:

Amazon.com: The Tonight Show Band, Vol. 2: Doc Severinsen: Music

Doc Severinsen himself told me (clear back in the late 1980s) that if you had to pick just one between volume 1 and volume 2, that Volume 2 was the one to get. I took his advice and have been tickled with it ever since.

Another awesome big band album is Stan Kenton, '76

Amazon.com: Kenton '76: Stan Kenton: Music

This album contains two of my very favorite Kenton Orchestra recordings - Send in the Clowns and Time for a Change. The recording of "My Funny Valentine" is also pretty danged awesome.

7. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  8. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Dizzy Gillespie and The United Nation Orchestra, Live at Royal Festival Hall. Feat. Arturo Sandoval and Claudio Roditi.

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    MF Live at Jimmy's

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    There are a few tracks on that album that I really dig - particularly "The Fox Hunt" - there is some really nice soloing going on with that.