So what album do you think should be in every trumpet players library?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrianP, Jul 19, 2010.

1. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    Somethin' Else -Cannonbal Adderly feat. Miles Davis

Roach and Brawn inc. Max Roach and Clifford Brown

2. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Hard to choose just one so I'll offer up one in jazz and one in classical.
    Miles Davis-Kind of Blue
    Hakan Hardenberger - Haydn/Hummel/and others Trumpet Concertos (2 disc set)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
  4. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    This is a great album, I use to have all his albums until they where stolen long ago....... Have yet to replace them...... but now that I see this cover memories have come back and I just might go on a Herb Alpert album buying spreee............... Kind of like my wife does with shoes :thumbsup:

I will blame the spending on you MISTER rowuk!!! :-P

5. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Well if the songs are as nice as the album cover... :D

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    They are SOOOO SWEET that you will need an insuline shot afterwards!

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Best album cover EVER!!!. But "the Lonely Bull" was the first song I learned off a record. I learned it when it first came out. Then I took "Strangers on the Shore" off the record. :thumbsup:

8. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Boy.... Those were the days...I had a Tijuana brass combo in school....We had a blast!

9. Scatmanblues

Scatmanblues Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2010
    West Texas
    There is a recording of me playing "The Lonely Bull" from 6th or 7th grade that my family will trot out to embarrass me from time to time. The Herb Alpert songbook was the very first book of solos my dad bought me. That and his old copy of Arban from college were my practice material for most of the first 2-3 years I played. Then in 9th grade he bought me two books of transcribed solos -The Wynton Marsalis "Carnival" collection and a book of Dizzy Gillespie bebop solos- and I discovered that I had a loooooong way to go...

I love Wynton's baroque work, but I think the quintessential trumpet album of his is "Carnival of Venice"

It was my first exposure to virtuoso trumpet playing, and to many important pieces in the repertoire.

Way too many to pick from in jazz -my head hurts thinking about it.

Scatmanblues

10. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Hey, did the Whipped Cream girl became his wife? Seems like I heard that. I learned to play by that album -and like Mendez, had my own Jr high TJB band. THose were the days. And I NEVER worried about hitting a note (range).

As far as albums -I agree with you guys that said Live at Jimmys is a topper. Can't remember the chart, but the last note on one of them has about the highest note I have ever heard. It kicks in after the rest of the band is holding the last note. My dog come running every time I play it. :)