So what album do you think should be in every trumpet players library?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrianP, Jul 19, 2010.

1. SteveRADavey

SteveRADavey Pianissimo User

May 25, 2010
    Austin, TX
    The second concert I ever attended had Tower of Power, Robert Cray, and the Memphis Horns opening for B.B. King. I was 16. What I wouldn't give to go back and see it again now that I might be able to appreciate what I was watching...

2. Riley Ratcliff

Riley Ratcliff New Friend

Apr 23, 2010
  3. Bill McCloskey

Bill McCloskey Piano User

Apr 22, 2007
    The question is really impossible to answer. Without knowing your direction, interest, goals, aspirations...it is impossible to know. The things to listen to are going to change over time and as your interest.

Sean Jones had some good advice along these lines but I'm too lazy at the moment to look it up. Maybe someone else will.

Whatever you start with, I would suggest listening to people that play the type of music you want to play. I'll go against the grain a bit and say, don't try and listen to really advanced players (except for inspiration) but listen to people closer to something you can achieve. In other words, learning some Bobby Hackett before trying to learn Clifford Brown for instance, if you were trying to learn how to improvise: simplier and cleaner rather than more complex and dense.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Oh yeah .....

What a great band, right across the bay from where I grew up.:thumbsup: TOP had a horn section that did actually grow out of a building, just like on the cover, they were so good ....

I also agree on the whipped cream Herb Alpert album .... Gorgeous songs and occasionally two trumpets playing together almost note for note .... awesome! I also like the album where he's in the old airplane, with a stewardess on the wing (I think she's about to serve him something). Some of the most memorable album covers from that period.:play:

Turtle

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  5. 12erlgro

12erlgro Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2010
    Norway
    Maurice Andre concertos

6. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Trying to list just one album is plain silly. Trying to list 5 is almost as silly, but I'll try:

-Louis Armstrong - 'Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man' (heh heh)
    -Dizzy Gillespie/Roy Eldridge - 'Diz and Roy'
    -Miles Davis - 'Live at Fillmore'
    -Maynard Ferguson - 'Live at Jimmy's'
    -Freddie Hubbard - 'First Light'

+Woody Shaw - 'Rosewood'
    +Don Ellis - 'Live at Fillmore'

bigtiny

7. olbrneyes

olbrneyes Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2007
    Portland, OR
    "Wild About Harry" Capitol 1957. Harry James with Buddy Rich on drums...nuff said!!

8. SteveRADavey

SteveRADavey Pianissimo User

May 25, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I've just recently started listening to Goz the Great (Champ's first reply). Pretty fantastic stuff. I mean really fantastic. I've never bean much for big band, but this is a beast I never knew existed. It's dang sexy is what it is. That man could bend his horn like a lump of clay.

- Steve-O

p.s. Kind of Blue is still the closest thing to perfection I've ever heard. It's the one, plain and simple.

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    "Dinah Jams"

Not just one, but three great trumpeters on one album ..... Terry Clark, Clifford Brown and Maynard! Wow. It's a studio recording with a small audience, so it has a live feel.

Turtle