So what album do you think should be in every trumpet players library?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrianP, Jul 19, 2010.

1. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    I got to see claudio live in a very small university setting. Front row, what a beautiful player, I absolutely loved his work. You can tell he worked with diz, but he stays really close to his latin roots, and man, he could sing too. Just a great guy, great player. Beautiful tone, if you can see him live, do it!

2. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    Funny this one would come up! I was at half price books and stumbled on the vinyl for $3. Picked it up and it's now displayed in my room! Damn right, gotta love that cover, eh boys? hahahaha

3. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    ‪FREDDIE HUBBARD, One Mint Julep‬‏ - YouTube

A personal favorite, I picked up on some freddie and this is one that I was just listenin to a plenty. Freddie solos have always been fantastic, so I mean, you better pick up Maiden Voyage and Speak No Evil. Genius compositions, genius solos. None of that maynard stuff, but shoot, "Dolphin Dance" opens up with freddie soloing like a the thoughtful master he is. They are some of the most haunting chords. The song maiden voyage has some neat idea sharing from freddie to herbie. Special man. Special. Speak no evil has got fee-fi-fo-fum on it, and what a killer tune man. And not only do you get those sweet freddie solos, you get to hear some of the best wayne shorter. Love it. Saw it at half price books, got it for cheap. Solid copy of a solid album! hahaha, keep those good albums rollin!

4. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    man, I just realized I resurrected a dead thread, my bad guys, but on another note, that's mccoy tyner on keys on open sesame.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That's my last trumpet teacher you are discussing. I took lessons from Claudio for 18 months while I was based out of NYC. He is the nicest person truly dedicated to the trumpet, and a creative, skilled and gifted teacher as well.

So I guess that makes Dizzy my trumpet Godfather!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    There's no shame to resurrecting a great thread.

I just heard that McCoy Tyner started out playing piano in his Mothers hair salon in NYC. A record producer strolled in and heard him, and the rest as they say is history.

Hay Ms. Tyner, take a little off the side, and you on the piano, I'll have a waltz with my trim!

7. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    Man, that's sick! He came here to uIndy, and his name on the list of performing artists didn't look that special, I hadn't heard of him, but man, we saw him, and I was just thrilled, he was speaking Portuguese with one of the guys in the audience and I just loved the sound he got outta his rotary horn. He was complaining about the moisture build up, but man, whatever, when he sounds like that, phew! I came out of that week of jazz performances with renewed love for my horn. That would be so cool to take lessons with him :)

8. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    Hahaha, Tyner has such a sound on those keys. I really love hearing him with Trane. You know the song moments notice? Talk about JESYS man. Those chords changin FAST. hahahaha there is a story how it got its name, coltrane was doin a gig with his band, handed a chart out to his cats, tyner look at it and said, "You want me to play this on a moments notice?" and there ya go :) I think I like John as a man more then I like any other musicians, the guy was a real seeker, I don't hear much like that from other cats, hell, a lot of people just think he was nuts, man, he was a thinker. He called A Love Supreme his "humble offering to God" man, it intrigues me. A Love Supreme is one of those songs I don't listen to. You know? It's not on my iPod. The last thing I would want is it comin on shuffle. Last time I listened to it was in a darkened room, really just trying to listen to it in as pure a scenario as possible. Hahahaha, sorry, sideways convo here, but if you want to hear something that was striving not for entertainment, but divinity? A Love Supreme is humble, loving, caring, thinking, breathing. Touching work that wasn't written for humanity. JC. Bless Him.

9. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    Just one album? I'd have to cheat (it's a compilation) and say "The Best of Chet Baker Plays". I don't believe it's the best recording of a trumpeter, but it's one that I have never gotten tired of hearing.

10. chicagodiceman

chicagodiceman New Friend

Jul 25, 2011
    Don Ellis At Fillmore has inspired me to try again after 25 years of not playing. We played Rock Odyssey my senior year in high school for competition. Always loved the 7/4 and 12/8 time signatures.

Should be getting my new horn in a day or two and we'll see how resurrecting the chops works out but still love this album.