So what really gives you better endurance?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, May 25, 2010.

1. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    It is all about the air flow. Charlie Schlueter said "more air equals less work".
    Also imperative is keeping any tension out of the body when playing. Tension gets into the breath and results in improper breathing. When one doesn't breathe properly, one uses pressure to get the results. Down goes endurance. One also needs a clear idea on what sound he/she wants to get. Without that idea you end up with nothing.
    I suggest anyone interested in getting a better understanding of air flow and air velocity pick up a copy of Luis Loubriel's book "Back to Basics for Trumpeters. The Teaching of Vincent Cichowicz". It is not a "how to" book. It is regarding the thought process of one of a great player and pedagogue and how he came to his theories. Chicowicz kept it as simple as possible.
    Chicowicz's students hold many of the top seats in major orchestras and they continue teaching the Chicowicz method.
    You might also find a copy of the Chicowicz air flow studies. The studies are designed for a smooth and continous air flow. Some get quite difficult technique wise, but those not only work the fingers but teach phrasing and playing musically.
    We are not designing a faster than light engine for space exploration. Playing the trumpet does not that kind of deep thought process. There is so much BS given out on the various websites it easily confuses those who don't understand it takes intelligent work and practice to become a good player.
    Rich T.

2. Joe

Joe Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2010
    Ireland
    Thats what it comes from:play:

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Sorry I didn't quote your whole post, but it's the points about air flow and reduced tension that I think hit the mark, and as I see it, you don't need to play for hours and hours a day in order to achieve those things. I've really streamlined my practicing so that I'm not blowing a lot of time on things I don't need to worry about, and I focus in on what I do. I think that the exercises I play serve to promote air flow, efficiency and a lack of tension, because in order to successfully play some of that stuff, I need to be playing efficiently and with good air flow. As an example, you just can't play quick, crisp and controlled single tonguing if you are all tense or aren't moving your air well. Same thing goes with the flexibilities and lip slurs. I try to dial right in on that stuff and make it a major part of my practice sessions. As for the sound, once everything else is kicking in and the chops are focused, the sound kind of takes care of itself. I don't strive for any particular sound, but after almost 30 years of playing the horn, I know what my sound should be.

Granted, as I talk about all of this, I still consider myself kind of a hack as a player. I know so many guys who play better than me and can do more, but I feel that I have tailored my skills on the horn to the gig I play, and there are times when I feel like I play it pretty well. On the whole grand scheme of things with this band, it's all about the singers anyway. :D

4. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    that must be it. I had only 3 gigs/public performances in my life so far. But each time I surprised myself, and my teacher in particular. During rehersal I as awfull, but next day during concert it was completely different story. I played beautifully, I cannot explain it, neither does he.

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I find the more I perform the better my endurance . I play lead in a 18 piece big band with a very demanding lead book. I practice everyday, but it's not the same kind of playing that I do with the band.So where my practice helps technique,tone,flexibility, etc.,it's not the like playing lead,I have no trouble making it to the end of a performance ,but it is much easier for me during our busy summer park concert season.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  6. scaramanga

scaramanga New Friend

Feb 27, 2010
    London
    I have found my endurance has gone up since I started doing the Thompson Buzzing book. I think that the reason is related to what richtom said about breathing and tension. Also I've found Ive got a bigger more resonant sound so I dont have to work so hard on a gig.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    So would you say that your chops have a better focus, which is due in part to better usage and efficiency of air?

8. scaramanga

scaramanga New Friend

Feb 27, 2010
    London
    It could be called focus I suppose - I just find I get a big sound almost effortlessly now - it just sounds resonant. I had a reasonable sound before in a mellow jazz kind of way. But I struggled when playing really loud stuff - either I wasnt cutting thru a loud band or I would expend alot of effort doing so. And then my endurance would go down of course.
    I put off buzzing for a long time - I reasoned that we dont buzz when playing a note on trumpet - so why would it be helpful. Also I found it quite difficult to lip buzz at first and I lumped the two kinds of buzzing together. I think I read something on Pops' website which made me realise the difference between them. I dont lip buzz at all unless you count lip flapping. So I tried mp buzzing reluctantly and with no real expectation that it would do anything. But it has - yesterday I did a 5 hour rehearsel with a loud band - and heres the thing - today my chops were fine. I suppose I should just add that the Thompson book has other things in it - long notes, dynamics, pitch bending etc but I still feel that the mp buzzing has made the difference.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The intelligent use of all of the playing parameters is what gives you a total product of good sound, range and endurance.

Parameters:
    body use
    daily routine
    playing opportunities
    breathing habits
    sound concept
    practice habits
    patience.

Without those, basically none of the other stuff matters. Other people liking you has to do with the whole person and presentation, not just the brand of shoe that you wear.

Smart wins almost every time.

10. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Ahh, there you go. Ever notice how most of the new generation of young (trumpet) lions looks? Like Tiger, they seem to be in fantastic physical shape.