So what really gives you better endurance?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, May 25, 2010.

1. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    For me, I wasn't expelling the stale air completely before taking another breath.

2. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Patrick,
    there is actually an interesting effect for players that do normally play a lot and then take 2 weeks off for vacation. They come back and have 15 minutes of bliss, then their world caves in. If they spend a couple of intense days, they have their endurance back, albeit with some limitations on concictency. The longer you have played, the more patterns are stored in your head, the less time you need to get going again.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hey, I'm just a beginner, but we need endurance too. The trumpet is a very demanding instrument physically, a lot more so than say, guitar or piano (or even drums for that matter). I'm finding that out pretty quick.

To help, I buzz the mouthpiece while walking fast on the treadmill. It really helps with air and being able to practice longer without getting light headed or dizzy, but there's still all those lower face muscles ....

btw ... As a beginner, I find all the extra OXYGEN is a revelation. I sometimes find myself grinning for no reason and getting totally euphoric in strange, random moments. A side effect of horn blowing, I guess.