So what's wrong with China?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Nov 11, 2007.

1. confuoco

confuoco Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2007
    There was a fabulous show on I believe PBS that followed a couple of Chinese girls who were employed by a shop in china that turned out products for the US market. Did anyone else see it? I forget the title of the program but it was eye opening and disturbing.

2. westview1900

westview1900 Piano User

Nov 30, 2005
    If the USA government passes legislation barring imports from totalitarian governments, it must be careful not to allow protectionist interests to influence this legislation. I hope that some day labor unions are allowed to operate freely in every country to bargain for fair wages so that there is no unfair opportunity for the haves to live off the have nots.
    On a side note, the USA is not totally immune from criticism. It incarcerates more people per capita than any other country.
    NationMaster - Prisoners > Per capita (most recent) by country

It also employs many of those prisoners to make things such as office furniture and textiles.
    www.unicor.gov - UNICOR - Federal Prison Industries

This in a fair market, depresses the prices for these items since the price of labor is artificially low.
    The USA is a great country, but if you look deep enough, you can see there are flaws here as well.

3. Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2007
    Kansas City
    Of course the US is nor should be immune from critcism, but it seems the implicaton you make is that those incarcerated are innocent-- put there by an oppressive (?) government, simply because they are a minority or whatever. The reason for so many in jail is because there are more criminals, more crime. I blame them (the criminals!) and the culture that fosters it. But sure, crime and violence in America is nothing to be proud about.

Just as an aside, I remember while in Japan some years ago a friend forgot his backpack on a bench inside a train station. Naturally we all wrote it off-- long gone. Our platoon came back through the station a couple of days later and we were stunned to find that it was still there were he left it, untouched. A culture thing.

4. westview1900

westview1900 Piano User

Nov 30, 2005
  5. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
  6. confuoco

confuoco Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2007
    That is the one. Very interesting! Well worth a watch!