So, who are you, anyway?

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by Manny Laureano, Oct 3, 2005.

1. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Hard knocks for sure. If I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all.

Michael Mclaughlin

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead."
    Igor Stravinsky

2. bugleblast

bugleblast New Friend

Apr 2, 2006
    Pittsburgh

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  3. ptynan

ptynan Pianissimo User

Sep 13, 2005
    Antigonish, NS
    Who are you?

I’m Paul Tynan. :bleah: I was born in Canada to an Irish Immigrant father and an American Mother. My father was world class Irish Dancer, and my mother was a Celtic Musician. When I was five or six my family moved to Houston, TX

I started playing the trumpet in Middle School my First teachers were Kevin Henderson, and Trent Cooper. I rented my first horn from H and H music.
    After a year of playing my parents bought me a used Bach Strad. And by this time I was completely nuts for playing.

My Family moved to Lancaster, NY. and I started lessons with Gerry Soffer from the Buffalo Phil. He is such an amazing person and teacher. And for the longest time I wanted to be an orchestral trumpet player. I went through the round of college auditions and settled on the Crane School of Music to study with John Ellis, Gordon Mathie was still around at that time also, so I got to pick his brain a bit too. John Ellis,...man his sound that made me want to shed :-)

When I was 21 I moved to Sweden to seek out Urban Agnas. Urban is a current and founding member of the Stockholm Chamber Brass, and is former principal trumpet of the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic. He encouraged my to take lessons with everybody I could. He told me about a great trumpet player named Tim Hagans who was leading the Norrbotten big band. That began my love of Jazz and the freedom of improvising. I’ll never forget that first lesson….what an ass kicking :shock: .

I figured out that if I wanted to play jazz I had better hit the shed real hard. So I returned to the States and was accepted to the Lake Placid Jazz seminar. For the first time I was completely surrounded by amazing jazz players (as a side note: Trent Austin was my room mate and he was amazing back then too). It was here that I decided to go to grad school for jazz studies. I received the Bill Collins jazz trumpet scholarship to attend the University of North Texas. Here I studied trumpet with Jay Saunders and Mike Steinel. At the End of my first year I received a TF to direct lab bands, and teach improvisation, and the end of my second year I won two Down Beat awards for Best College soloist, and Best Small Jazz Ensemble. It was at UNT that I met Noel Johnston, Joel Fountain, Carl Murr, Aaron Lington and many others that will be musical partners/collaborators for life.

When I graduated with my MM I entered the PhD. program and I started applying for University teaching jobs. I won the job at St. Francis Xavier University in Antigonish, NS. Soon after that I was asked to be an Edwards Artist.

I have had many other mis-adventures, but That’s my nutshell…

4. oneeyedhobbit

oneeyedhobbit New Friend

Dec 4, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    This is a really cool thread Manny. I doubt you'll remember me, but we did a side-by-side play along when I was in the MN all-state orchestra--must have been Jan. or Feb. of 2003...I remember being terrified and ashamed at the side-by-side. My High School Mock Trial team was in the middle of making a run for state (we placed second), so I hadn't played for about three days prior to the rehearsal. Aside fromt he experience of playing, which was still a blast, I was impressed with how personable you were--we ended up talking "Lord of the Rings" as "Fellowship" had just come out.

Anyway, thats neither here nor there as regards the life story bit. I'm Will(iam) Jarvis, born 25 February 1985. I lived in rural southwest MN for my entire life until starting college. My parents had married young (I may have sped this process up...), and neither were college grads. I guess I never really realized it when I was really young, but we were pretty poor. We moved around a lot, and lived in trailer parks for awhile. I remember my mom skipping meals and telling us she was on a diet so that my brother and I--this was before my two sisters came along--had food. I started kindergarten in Nicollet, MN. I don't really remember much of kindergarten, except for a "life-lesson" I learned young. This is going to sound really trite, so I beg your forgiveness, but I my best friend in kindergarten was a kid named Joe who didn't have any friends. At first I was only too happy to join in on teasing him, but one day we both had to stay inside during recess for fighting. My passion at the age of five was the Nintendo, and Joe just happened to know how to draw Mario. We ended up having a lot of fun despite our punishment, and were friends for the rest of the year--the moral being the whole don't go with the crowd on ostracization bit, I guess.

I didn't even finish out the year at Nicollet before my family had to move again, this time to St. James, MN. We were there until very early in 5th grade. I really enjoyed my time in St. James because of the friends I made. My best friend here (I should point out that all of my "best" friends come in a distant second to my brother Alex--he's a year younger than me, but we've always been close) a kid named Ian Schmitts. He introduced me to Star Wars, which would become another of the passions in my youth. Although I didn't realize it at the time, he could also relate to the poverty. Sometime in third or fourth grade, however, things got really bad at home. My father had always been an alcoholic and abusive to my mother to boot. He was mostly a good father, but in retrospect I think he was dealing with emotional issues. He was out of work a lot and could only ever find jobs doing maintenance for factories. Anyway, to make a long story short as things were getting bad between my parents my father was also getting more into the bottle, and ended up doing something very foolish that landed him in jail for close to a year. This was when my parents divorced. Although I did the whole, "this doesn't happen to my family, its only other families" thing for awhile, I also realized that it was for the best given my father's lifestyle.

Shortly after the divorce, my mom was having trouble finding work because of the social stigma our last name now had courtesy of my dad's actions. She decided to move back to Sleepy Eye, MN, her hometown. Although I hated it at first, in retrospect I'm so incredibly thankful I ended up in Sleepy Eye, for a lot of reasons. I was a fifth grader at this point, and terribly shy. It took me a long time to finally find a group of friends in Sleepy Eye, so I mostly spent up until junior high as a loner or hanging out with my brother and sisters.

This was the year I started trumpet. They had done a demonstration when I was still at St. James, but my mom told me that we simply couldn't afford an instrument. I was in the "Challenge" program, and one of the other participants, a girl named Caitlin, played trumpet. I asked her if she could talk to the director for me, and he agreed to meet me after school one day. To this day I don't know why I wanted to pick up an instrument. My parents didn't do it, and while my grandpa played (and sometimes still does) a mean concertina, I had never been that drawn to it (actually, when I was a freshman in highschool I took up the concertina on my own for awhile. My mom and grandpa really wanted someone in the family to continue the tradition and get my grandpa's concertina. Unfortunately, I was diving into a lot of activities at this point, and didn't have the time I needed to practice or an instructor or group to play with, so I dropped it. To this day, its one of my greatest regrest, especially knowing that my grandpa eventually sold his concertina due to bad arthritis). Nevertheless, I found myself in the bandroom having not said a word to my mother being asked what I wanted to play. The only instrument I had ever held was my cousin Annie's trumpet (she was two years older than me, and was proudly showing it off when she was in fifth grade). I guess because of that and on a whim, I asked for a trumpet. I was able to buzz the mouthpiece and get out a few notes (my first note was a G). I did a couple of other things, enough to impress the director. But he also gave me a stren warning that I was starting late and would have a very difficult time catching up. I have never been one to enjoy being told what I cannot do, and seriousness with which the director warned me peeved me, so I assured him that I would be fine if he could help me get a cheap trumpet. He told me he would call my mom. I went home and told her about my plan. She was worried about the price, but to her great credit was very encouraging, and has always been extremely encouraing of me and music. With the Stan Galstad's help (my first director and primary trumpet instructor, as well as a mentor and I'm proud to say at this point friend to me) we found a cheap rental. To Gully's (a moniker we gave him when I was in HS) surprise, by the end of that year I was ready to play with the band.

Ok, I'm supposed to be doing some latin homework and this is getting pretty long winded, but I'll come back to this tomorrow and edit the post to add more. I apologize if this is too personal or not quite what you were looking for.

5. sfenick23

sfenick23 New Friend

Oct 11, 2004
    Hi Manny, and everyone else,

My name is Steve Fenick, and I currently teach here in Richmond, VA, both here in my studio at home and as an adjunct instructor at Virginia Commonwealth University.
    I was born in Beaufort, SC, but didn't stay in one place for very long until my father retired from the Marine Corps. We finally settled in the sprawling metropolis of Oak Island, NC when I was 6. I began playing trumpet when I was 11, and continued through high school, though I was never serious enough about it to practice very much. I still managed to get a full ride at the local university, where I majored in beer and coeds for a few years. My father fell ill with cancer and passed away when I was 22, and I decided I needed to do some growing up. Enter the U.S. Army. Now, one would think it would have made sense to join as a musician, but those who know me best know I rarely make sense, especially in those days. I joined as an infantryman, with assurances from my recruiter that I would be able to switch when I got in. After graduating infantry training, I was stationed at Fort Stewart, GA as an infantryman, and stayed there for a year. After that, I went to Germany, where I did special duty with an Air Force unit. I deployed to Bosnia as part of the initial peacekeeping force in Operation Joint Endeavor, and while there I was allowed to do on-the-job training as a bandsman. After we returned from Bosnia, I was allowed to attend the Armed Forces School of Music, and became a bandsman. From there, I went to Fort Benning, where I stayed until 1999 before being slated to return to Germany. I went back to Germany, and was stationed with the USAREUR Band in Heidelberg. I absolutely loved being there, but there were two problems...one, I had met somebody before I left (the woman that would eventually become my wife), and the other was that my mother and stepfather had both become very ill. I asked for, and received, a compassionate discharge, and went home to help care for them. My stepfather ended up with dementia, and required round-the-clock care, which my mother and I ended up doing. I also enrolled back in school to finish my B.M. in performance. My stepfather passed away in January 2002, and I received my B.M. degree in December of that year. I then moved to Richmond to be with my then-girlfriend, and began work on my M.M. at Virginia Commonwealth University. I began having severe stage fright issues, but still managed to finish my degree in December 2004. I also got married in August of that year in Buffalo, NY (my wife's hometown). My wife gave birth to identical twin girls in February 2006, and they were born 9 weeks early via an emergency c-section. They spent 5 weeks in the NICU, and then got to come home. They bring me so much joy, and are such an inspiration...they are little fighters.
    I spend most of my time practicing, and am currently preparing for my return to an active performing career (I have still been playing, but have been fighting stage fright for a couple of years). I also do a lot of research involving different methods of trumpet pedagogy, with the purpose of trying to be the best teacher I can possibly be. My near future will involve either becoming more active as a professional performer, or beginning work on my Doctorate.

Thanks,
    Steve Fenick

6. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    My name is Michael Daly and I grew up in Corpus Christi, Texas. After high school I attended Texas A&M Kingsville where I majored in music education and studied with Jack Burt. After deciding that I didn't really like the idea of dealing with parents, I left college to join the Army as a trumpet player. At my first assignment in Germany, I met an infantryman turned trumpet player named Steve Fenick. I learned alot from him the short time we were stationed together. After my first tour was up, I returned to Houston with my wife Yvonne, where I studied a short time with David Corder and managed to work for Exxon at the same time. After about a year of being out of the Army, I realized how much I missed playng trumpet for a living and I once again joined the military. I was sent straight to Ft. Benning, GA where I once again met up with Steve and spent the next year trying to get back to Germany. After several requests and being an annoyance, my request was granted. I was sent to the 1st Infantry Division where I met Gary Wilder and Jarrett Ellis. Jarrett has had the most influence on my trumpet playing, even our duet sessions in a palace in Iraq were a learning experience. His willingness to listen and honestly evaluate my playing helped me to realize so many things. Every day that I sat next to him was a real treat in one way or another. Jarrett is wise beyond his years and I hope he knows it. I have been in Bamberg, GE since 2001 and will soon return to the civilian sector to be a stay at home dad/trumpet player with the help of some rehab on my back. My wife and my little girl are the center of my universe.

7. bigpatg

bigpatg New Friend

Mar 12, 2006
    Well Manny only you could pull this off great thread
    my name is Pasquale Gallo i was born and raised in the bronx N.Y i am the first of six brothers all from the same tree if you were wondering. as a child i spent much timedoing the things all city kids do getting into trouble. my brothers played soccer and wrestled and all that this did not intrest me.
    My parents tried to bridal my need for excitement everything failed.

one day my uincle brought over a beat up french made trumpet and gave it to my dad well this was the begining of a long journey that still continues today. Mind you i was stubborn and wanted to do things my way i joined the band i middle school i was quickly ridiculed by my pears these are boys i ran with on the subways and got into tons of trouble with. but i quckly took a likeing to the trumpet but always wanted to pay the saxaphone. YES I KNOW THATS A DIRTY WORD AROUND HERE) just kidding.

any way my first teacher was David Fricke in the N.J school system boy was he a paitent guy i was a pain in the A** but persistance paied off i loved what i was learning i progressed quickly then up we go and my father moved us again to philadelphia pa where i came in contact with david burke this was an experience that will last a lifetime. he instilled in me the desire to push my playing to the next level.

Mind you i was playing 4+ hours per day by this time and the only things that interested me were trumpet playing boduybuilding so i pushed on in both venues as hard as i could i figured the better i felt physicaly the better my trumpet playing was going to be i was correct.i attended nutley high school in N.J where i was asked to play concert band as well as ochestra i loved both so this was not a problem.

Lester Herbeck of julliard was my next teacher he was tough excepted nothing but perfection mind you this was not easy to deal with, i was a freshmen and other things began to puul my attention(girls) yes a late bloomer well i entered every competition i could and played every gig i could paid or not i was there. sometimes uninvited but i pressed forward.

In the summer of 1981 i was introduced to drum and bugel corps this was a shock for me as in my little world i was always the lead player and all was good holly crap was i in for a surprise i quicly learned if you want to play with the big boys more practice was needed for the next 6 years with the exception of work and the gym all i did was practice practice practice.

I practiced on my lunch breaks in an old trailer behind my job facing the hudson river people began to think i was homeless. i played every day for the homeless people anyway they knew my on a first name basis it was a real experience. i needed more i was not satisfied with my level of performance my teacher david fricke suggested additional lessons with Carmine Caruso so i got an address ond off to find him i went. Carmine was a gentle person with a lot of patience he turned around alot of people who were on the verge of putting down there axes perminently.

for approximatly 5 years Carmine lead the way and my playing flourishd i never lost the desire to perform even this many years later i live in south Florida where i still perform regularly and in any setting possiable by the beach in a resturant on a cruise line dosent matter as long as i am playing im happy. 28 years latter and still going strong funny i dont feel 40.

I teach as well and enjoy every second i have to bring the joy of music to someone else. as i look back music saved me from a pretty harsh road which lead to no where. And it gave me purpouse in my life something i was lacking as a child. thanks Manny for the thread and the intrest in your fellow trumpeters.

8. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Antalya, Turkey
    This thread is great idea, though I thought that the idea of having nicknames is to stay anonymous. Well, my real name is Nikolay Iliev and I was born on 07/18/1975 in Vidin Bulgaria. I started playing trumpet quite late, when I was 14. I graduated at the Conservatoire de Fribourg (Switzerland) on 06/18/2003, where my trumpet teacher was Jean-Francois Michel (former Principal trumpet with the Munich Philharmonic, at present playing with Swiss Brass Consort). Then I went to Royal Northern College of Music (Manchester, UK) where I spent 1 year studying on the Postgraduate Diploma in Performance with Murray Greig (Principal with Opera North) and John Miller. In the meantime I went on private lessons and masterclasses with Rod Franks, James Watson, Maurice Murphy and Maurice Andre.

At present I am 2nd Principal in trial with the Vidin Philharmonic and leader of the Vidin Brass Quintet - the first pro brass quintet in town, and I am proud of it. I just founded it couple of months ago abd we plan to give our first concert in the autumn, but I did not set a date yet.
    At present I am trying to save some money to buy a pic...well, this is pretty much all about me.

Nick

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This post has been sleeping a while, it is really cool to read how you all have been "influenced".
    My name is Robin and I was born in Germany in the mid 50s. Father a US soldier and mother a beautiful german fräulein. My grandfather was a cornetist in the GE factory band in Schenectady. When he died 1966 I inherited the his Holton Clarke Model long cornet. A year later, we got a new music teacher in school, Mitchell Haverly who I feel lit the fire. Trumpet playing turned to passion and I studied with quite a few different teachers, all important for one reason or the other - the best part is that they took me along to gigs and I had the chance to learn by doing.
    1974 I moved to Germany with the US Army Band. In Germany, I met Heinz Zickler, an old school german trumpet player who as far as i am concerned knows more about why things need to be a certain way than anybody else that i have ever met. He taught me the Haydn based on the things that Haydn did best: symphonies and string ensembles. He was solo trumpet in Leipzig and knows what Bach wanted - based on Bachs complete works (he also plays organ and conducts). he is in his late 80s and is still researching Bach - absolutely amazing!
    Just about everywhere that i have been, I have found opportunities and inspirational people with a scope inside and outside of brass.
    Presently I am working on a complete new design for rotary valves. Design goal is minimal turbulence, constant bore and practically no maintenance. They will be relatively heavy for mechanical and thermal stability (the churches here get VERY cold!).
    I read Robert Ludlum and my current favorite CD ist by The Real Group (a swedish jazz vocal group). It is called Stemning and is swedish folksongs so beautifully sung that it has been a constant source of inspiration to me for the last 2 years. Highly recommended for people looking to get high - without drugs!

10. Corsair

Corsair Pianissimo User

Jun 19, 2006
    MN
    My name is Kurt Johnson.
    Born in 1959, raised in St. Paul, MN.
    In high school was introduced to Drum and Bugle Corps, Maynard Ferguson, and Bill Chase. My wife helped introduce me to other music as a listening tool.

My music Bio

At age 9 picked the trumpet as a way to anger my dad I guess, he wanted me to play clarinet.
    Parents rented a trumpet for me for awhile until they bought a cornet for me.
    I thought it was a step backward. Got pretty good too.
    Then in high school got a Bach Strad. That was MY trumpet.
    Played that for years as lead in school for concert band, orchestra, and stage band.(we actually recorded an album at a studio in senior year although I no longer have that album).
    Then after high school, got married to my sweetheart.
    Had a son.
    My old band teacher told me about a community band and joined.
    They also had a stage band that I joined, played lead for them for about 2-3 yrs.
    Then physical ailments for surgery and stuff slowed me down.
    Lost part of my 1st valve finger and had to play some gigs on other fingers for a while.
    Then I just stopped playing and the last gig I had was for my father-in-laws’ funeral.
    That was 1990.
    My sweetie wanted me to get a real trumpet in 2004.
    Got a cheapo but I sounded rotten. Went to get valve oil for it and played some better trumpets.
    Found a beaut that made the cheapo sound like a kazoo. Been practicing with it ever since.
    Got range back and some maturity I never had before. Never was formally taught.
    Now I just want to play.