Socially Acceptable Spit Release

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gmonady, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    You know, not having any experience in indoor gigs (yesterday was only our second gig, and we practice in a room right after a jazzercise class where all kinds of sweat lands on the floor), I wasn't too worried about this until I saw this thread and realized I may be guilty of this faux pas. I had put a handkerchief on my stand yesterday with the intention of using it on my waterkeys for politeness.

Question: How do you know you're playing in a retirement home ? Answer: they keep the heat at 77 deg. So I was sweating on stage and decided mopping my forehead was the higher priority ! I'm sure the rug has worse stuff in it already.

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    ....violas, piano stools, drumsticks, bagpipe chanters, oboes.....the list of possibilities is endless, and I'm sensing a real business opportunity here.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Played a couple of times for an anthroposophical retirement home in Germany. It was really neat, all under one roof with a three-story "mountain" with a stream and the climate was tropical. Very warm and very humid. Playing in full tails it was a sweaty gig.

4. afp

afp Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2013
    Roseburg, OR
    Being an American middle aged man and a former USAF pilot, race car driver, and competition shooter, I drain the water from my horn anywhere I please. Bu then again, I am not a socially sensitive kind of guy.........

5. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    ......on the shoulder of the unfortunate woodwind in front of you?.........:-?

6. afp

afp Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2013
    Roseburg, OR
    That would be my preference, but it's usually the lead trombone player that is immediately in front of me.

7. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    At home I use an inverted frisbee to catch the condensation, wiping it out with a tissue when I'm done. Elsewhere, the floor or ground seems to do the job well enough. On occasions when I've been a featured soloist in front of everyone, I just casually opened the water keys when the horn was off my face, gave a little shake, and hoped for the best. Haven't gotten gurlgly from remaining moisture yet.

I've watched Chris Botti, wondering where the condensation goes, as he has no place to hide, and either he is very good at sleight of hand, or he has almost no moisture in his lungs to condense in his horn. Ive watched him appear to release the condensation into the hand that opened the water key (while he wasn't playing), and that was the end of it (I saw not one drop head for the floor). I must say that he did this rarely, at much longer longer intervals than I expected, and he never wiped his hand on anything afterward.

I like the idea of using a handkerchief, and yet in a way it seems obtrusive. Like firearms, though, it's better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it.

8. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Some of them come prepared

[​IMG]

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    How to know when one has played too much without emptying the spit valve....

[​IMG]

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    (BAM! 2nd Hit of 2014)