Socially Acceptable Spit Release

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gmonady, Jan 1, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I believe she is playing a low sea.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You know, I can clean those ears out for you. Call my office to schedule an appointment.

( BAM. Third hit of 2014 )

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I should have expectorated this.

4. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    The hanky is the way to go ,i never worried about it in high school but now im standing in front of my church family and to me it would be kinda bad manners to spit on the floor so i put a mens kerchief in my left palm and use it when i dump, them slip it in my pocket between songs.

This brings something up i have been wondering ,about why do some horns act like they are hooked to a garden hose ? My 22B will get gurgly after just one song ,on the other hand my student model 15 B goes for a long time without dumping ,and then it's barely a heavy dew ?:shock:

Does the 22 B make me strain more or what is going on here?

Dean_0

5. PiGuy_314

PiGuy_314 Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Amen. On some horns, it's a sprinkler, and for others, it's Niagra Falls...

~Noah

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    If I'm sitting on a real stage, I empty it on the floor. If I'm standing, I turn around and empty it discretely. If I'm on a nice wooden floor or light-colored carpet, I have a cloth in my case that I put on the floor. When I practice at home, I empty it on a dirty sock from the clothes hamper.

7. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    It's rather unfortunate that cricket bats are so asymmetrical... still, you can always keep one back for use against persistent woodwinds... or, of course, you could drill it for an oversize flute! That way, someone would regularly get a cricket bat in the face!

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Just let it drop onto the trombone...

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I skipped over 4 pages, so perhaps I'm not alone, but I use a handkerchief cupped around the spit valve.

Other band colleagues use a towel on the floor but I notice their aim isn't always that good.

-bumblebee

10. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Haha my wife made me spread an old beach towel on the floor in front of my music stand. She was especially grossed out by condensation dripping out of the bell. I usually just keep a small towel or microfiber cloth on my lap.