Socially Acceptable Spit Release

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gmonady, Jan 1, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

For the church setting I agree. In my case, when the minister isn't looking, I sneak a release form the spit valve into the holly water.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Did you ever notice there is less "gurgle" if you play with your trumpet / cornet at a small upward angle? Then too, if you are really pushing the air it spreads throughout the instrument and drips from the bell as you play. Swab, swab, swab it all.

3. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    I use a small box with some paper towels in it for home playing.

4. arlington

arlington Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2012
    Lancaster, OH
    At home I just water the plants.
    At church I keep a small cloth nearby.

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Good question, Doc ...

I never actually thought about it, when I was playing trumpet, until I built the shed and installed the fake hardwood floor. THEN it occurred to me ... SPIT on my new fake cherry wood floor??? I think not. :noway:

(rugs)

Happy New Year, everyone! :thumbsup:

Turtle

bumblebee likes this.
  6. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    I dunno if you noticed but she has leaky valves ? :shhh::think::noway:

Dean_0

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Turtle!

Happy Happy New Year my good friend. Glad to hear your shed is holding out. But how do you keep that cherry floor shining without some spit and polish?

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Well, that tells me you're not Baptist, as you'd have to leave the congregation to get to the baptistery where the "Holy" water is. In the Presbyterian and Methodist churches I've attended, their baptismal founts have a cover except when baptizing, still quite a few steps from where you'd be positioned to play. While I'm not Catholic, and correct me if I'm wrong, the only two sources of "Holy" water are near the entrance to the sanctuary and in a device the Priest uses. I'm not certain about the whereabouts of a baptismal font or baptistery.

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Hi Ed,
    I was a little concerned at first until I realised that this is the tail end of the Christmas season and there would probably be some holly decorating the churches, so topping up the water keeping the holly fresh would make sense. Does diluting the holy water, if as indeed the good doctor might have intended to write, also dilute it's efficacy? If not, then perhaps little harm done...

--bumblebee

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Here's how I do it:

I open my spit valve and blow. Then I pull off my third valve slide and dump it. Then I pull off my first valve slide, tip the horn up, and holding combinations of valves 1 & 2, I blow the excess water out of the valve block.

:cool:

My thought is that it's a brass instrument - part of playing it is having to deal with condensation that builds up in the horn and needs to be emptied. In 90% of the venues and situations I've been in, I've simply dumped the water. For the remainder - rehearsals in a home where the carpet matters, or for quintet gigs where it might come off as unseemly to just dump it, emptying out onto a small town folded and placed there for that purpose seems to be a decent way to go.