Socially Acceptable Spit Release

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gmonady, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    So, the most novel dump sites so far are holly water and a small town...:lol:

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I believe gmonady is mistaken. Thor's brother, Baldr, was killed by mistletoe, not holly.

3. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    I see that Ed never got that sense of humour I asked Santa to give him. :cool:

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Wear the shoes of my life experience and the only "humour" you'll find is on the truck that plys the neighborhood in the summertime or in the freezers of some grocery stores. What's your blood sugar?

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    by this page my answer will be boring.. but I use a rag if it's handy .. at home.. trash can, sink or rag... if I have people close by and I am talking to them I might just cup my hand around the water key and release it into my palm .. then just non chantley shake it off my hand (pinky out)... sneaky but effective.

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    You know, I've been emptying horns for about 50 years now (that's a lot of spit/condensation!), and it's not something I usually think about. It seems so natural to just do it, that I never have given too much thought to what the non-playing public must think about it. In addition to how or where to do it, there's a "when" factor, too. While performing with the brass band (and this is good advice for other groups, too), we don't dump the water immediately after the piece ends. No flipping to the next piece, emptying the horn, etc. while the audience is applauding - acknowledge the applause while sitting still, and tend to your dumping/shuffling after the applause dies down.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hey, during Christmas time it's Holly water. I belong to a "green" congregation of Episcopalians. They are always a creative lot with origins from the Anglican Church, another great idea created by our English brethren.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    At the time when we finally do meet, a salute will do just fine.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh by golly. Did they have a holly jolly Christmas though?

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If you're caught kissin Holly by your wife under the mistletoe... can you really blame the revenge of the murderous wife on the mistletoe...:dontknow: or on Holly:dontknow: