Socially Acceptable Spit Release

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gmonady, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    None of those are correct. Those in the know refer to it as the "whisper key", as championed by professor Bob Pixley.

2. drmctchr

drmctchr Pianissimo User

Mar 19, 2012
    Doesn't anyone else do it like we do it in Montana? Just wipe it on your sleeve.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Buttons on sleeves were introduced to keep soldiers from wiping their noses on their uniforms.

4. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    :-(:-(:-( Not happy about this thread. As a kid my Mum made my brother and me use a bucket to catch the pitifully small amount of cornet condensation. Since resuming playing, I've been blissfully unconscious of where I recycle my musical moisture - taking only a little care not to dampen any foot pedals or other electronic paraphernalia whilst on stage. Now, I've become paranoid, wondering who has noticed my horn answering a call of nature. Dammit man, whatever happened to "first, do no harm?".

5. Jappe

Jappe Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2011
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I'm just happy not to be an French Horn player. They have to take the whole instrument appart just to release a few drops from every tube on the instrument LOL. And if they don't do it, they sound like blowing into an aquarium.

6. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I carry a microfiber cloth, which is about the size of a washcloth. Whenever I need to use the waterkeys, I cover the keys with the cloth and release into the cloth. I use this all the time.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    All I can say is, you don't know where it's been.:noway:

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Or your cattle (or sheep depending on preference)?

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Can't wait for the Harrelson where they use a Saturn key...

I can see myself now releasing for the Saturn experience where I can see myself saying with each moisture purge:
    T minus 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...
    We have moisture separation from the mother ship...
    All systems go...
    moisture rings are released and are orbiting Saturn

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    That's one of those old wives' tales that has been repeated so much that people believe it. From another site..."Men's coat sleeve cuffs used to be huge, and were folded up and buttoned to keep them in place. The cuff could be unbuttoned and folded down to cover the hands in cold weather. As the cuffs became ornamental rather than practical, the buttons were retained as decorative elements. Note also that the buttons were originally horizontally around the sleeve, following the top edge of the folded-up cuff. They later returned to a practical use when tighter-cut sleeve fashions necessitated a slit cuff to allow the hand through, with the buttons now vertical on the side of the cuff at the slit. This prevented wind from entering the sleeve in cold weather and for cavalry use. When fashions returned to a slightly looser cut the buttons reverted to a decorative function."