Soda

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rain, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Rain

Rain New Friend

Nov 16, 2007
    Kingston, TN
    Hi, I have a question, How bad is soda for your horn, I mean drinking Soda and then playing, cause I had one teacher tell me this was a BIG nono, then still some others were like, It's no big deal, so just wondering

Rain:D

2. confuoco

confuoco Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2007
    I think soda / pop / cola (what ever you call it) is bad for you in general. If you drink soda alot you would be amazed how you feel after a week of water and no soda. Diet or Regular.

In terms of trumpet I bet regular with all of the sugar doesn't help the trumpet at all. Diet might be less worse.

I say do away with it all together. I did a couple of years ago (used to be a diet coke nut) and have never felt better.

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

A lot of sodas are also really acidic which might wear through the inside of the instrument if you aren't careful (ever dissolved a tooth in coke?)

4. confuoco

confuoco Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2007
    :-o

5. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Yeah, you take a tooth (generally you do this while you're losing teeth naturally and don't believe in the tooth fairy) and stick it in a glass of coke and watch it gradually dissolve over like 3 days

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Guys forget it,
    you aren't soaking your horns in coke, you are just drinking it and then playing. That means MAYBE some sugar particles are getting into the horn. The carbonation is going into YOUR stomach and bowels - there are 2 exits for that. Drinking sweet stuff is no different than not brushing your teeth before playing.
    I find that my chops get sticky with the sugar and that my pulse goes up with the caffeine. That doesn't hurt the horn, but does make playing less predictable!

7. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Exept that When you brush your teeth you rinse your mouth out with water after... hopefully, or I'd have to call you pastey face.

Before I ever play I swish my mouth out with water. Even if I havn't eaten anything for awhile, I do it just to make sure. drinking soda before you play isn't necesarilly bad if you only do it once, but do it, and in due time, you'll notice that your horn plays really stuffy sounding and you wont have as good of an airflow as you once had. Nothing a quick cleaning cant fix, but hey, time is... uh... time is more chops :D

8. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    I drink seltzer ( not club soda, that has salt) by the gallon. To me its more refreshing than water and has no additives.

9. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    Yes. seltzer is good, but it makes you burp, and that does funny things to my pitch. :)

10. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    Is beer bad for the horn? Oh yeah... I already started a thread on that topic. My bad. :)