Soft high notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by just, Apr 18, 2014.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    I like to sit on a tall bar stool and that always makes me play higher than anyone hic up!

2. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I have a suggested exercise that I am finding beneficial. I would try working on range specifically but make it part of what you do every day, pushing only a little and knowing when to stop and move on. It builds off the very excellent arpeggio suggestion but allows for 1/2 step increments. It is Schlossberg Exercise #26 (page 7). It goes until high C but you can start at the beginning and continue an octave up. Go as high as you can and stop when you have missed 3-times. The exercise is the fantastic to understanding tongue levels, air compression, and air support.

What really helps is to play the arpeggio on the piano, sing the arpeggio, play on the trumpet relaxed an octave down, "then" try to capture that relaxed feeling an octave up while really blowing with full volume at the 1/2 step up. It takes a long time, 1/2 step by half step but the gains are real.

Good Luck.

BB

3. BigSwingFace

BigSwingFace Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    3c43f7e480a19183fb9d382be05e198e3073d275eeda2d9e555eae0920c3ce35.jpg

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yeah, but a real answer with content lasts MUCH longer. Basically we ALL want a quick fix and there is a whole industry in place feeding those desires. There are more "lies" surrounding mouthpieces and more unnecessary psychological dependencies on hardware than I care to think about.

BSF, this has nothing to do with you.

6. Avan

Avan New Friend

Mar 9, 2012
    Somewhere along the line I read that the notes above the staff are just other notes ....................... for some reason it resonated with me and the notes appeared.......... thought I had found the holey grail !!

But ALAS !! in conclusion it was my way of thinking that was hampering me .............. My perspective was wrong ..................

Now F above high "C" is a daily occurrence ............... not a squeak but a nice soft note with good tone............ in my practice range ........... not loud enough for a gig yet, but I do understand that the journey is just like my previous goal of a nice beautiful high "C" .............

Just my experience and thoughts ....................

Avan

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Rowuk does give thorough answers - although I don't always agree, but it is true that each of our experiences in pursuit of the trumpet is unique to each individual -

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If I was looking to be "popular by popular opinion" I would promote changing mouthpieces, horns and embouchures instead of looking in the mirror. I really only try to recommend "safe" stuff. Advice to people that we have NEVER personally seen play is a real crap shoot - especially because so many things that are "common knowledge" are simply wrong.

There in fact is a common denominator between EVERY really successful trumpet player - a drive that does not let them do anything else, a purpose that "senses" a better road to take and no acute necessity to broadcast it to the world. Once they ARE successful, the crap shoot starts: all the way from mouthpiece and instrument endorsements and methods that only work for incredibly strong chops to really serious ability to help and all of this seldom in the same person.

9. 2tone

2tone New Friend

Apr 13, 2014
    Michigan
    In my experience, hit it with air first. With practice, I learned that for me to play softly in higher registers, I still needed to put air through the horn. I still do. Ok, off to serenade the puppy. (thats how I practice soft upper notes, he dosent even run off anymore aha)

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wow!!! I am on a soft hi!!! Still waiting for my Harrelson to make it easier, but equipment isn't the decisive answer. I was playing for my Middle School band demonstrating my $325 Allora Pocket trumpet AND relaxed technique and was doing an F scale, from the staff F to the first F above the staff, then to the F above that, and the students started chanting, keep going... and with total relaxation, went to that next F... Yep, the one above double high C, clean, soft, in tune. It felt (and sounded) real good.