Soft high notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by just, Apr 18, 2014.

1. BigSwingFace

BigSwingFace Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    I'm grateful I learned to drive in a Honda Civic and not a Chevy Suburban.

I'll admit I'm not the most experienced of players...but when did we, as high note players, stop being able to see ourselves from the past?

Try a smaller rim. If it doesn't help then report me to the moderators and have me banned.

2. 2tone

2tone New Friend

Apr 13, 2014
    Michigan
  3. Gapa

Gapa New Friend

Apr 16, 2014
    "I can play piano and softly to a high D sharp-E but I don't know how to grow those notes (from B above the staff to high E) on volume and sound."

........play up to a high note like you normally do and hold it. Close your eyes, then LET your air flow a bit more, at the same time relax your shoulders a bit and observe. You will learn from observing.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It's funny but last night I complimented a players solo and the response was, "I used a new mpc". I immediately said, "It's the player, not the equipment "! It just blurted right out! I didn't even think about it! He smiled sheepishly and thanked me. They weren't even a trumpet player! We are not alone!

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    were not in Kansas anymore Toto ---- I think we are in Missouri ("the show me state") --- you will have to show me ROFL ROFL ROFL ---- actually, I can believe that ----- for many years I have been on the same mpc, and I like it, and I am going to stick with it, I also have a series of 3 trumpets that are my regulars. I was cleaning up my Holton Collegiate the other day (going to give it to a friend) --- and I just grabbed it and played it. The darn thing was easy up to the DHC, and although the sound was soft above the A above high C ----- it was smooth and sounded in tune. --------------- I'm still giving the Holton away, but it was interesting that switching to a different set of equipment seemed like an instantaneous fix (((( I did that before though, switched equipment -- ultimately you end up to where you left off))) -- maybe there is euphoria in new equipment, an adrenaline rush, endorphins --- chemicals that make us feel and play better --- MOMENTARILY!!!!!

6. 2tone

2tone New Friend

Apr 13, 2014
    Michigan
    ... did TM just become my new favorite site.. YEP..

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It does tend to grow on you! Our TM members gives it a composite personality that just makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

8. 2tone

2tone New Friend

Apr 13, 2014
    Michigan
    haha I dig it. and not to hijack this interesting topic of, just... yeah.. anyways.. what bore size is your 53' Olds? And the Super recording, for that matter. I'm in the market, its about that time ha

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    They are both 0.460 inch bores.

10. 2tone

2tone New Friend

Apr 13, 2014
    Michigan
    coo. Same as my horn now. If I don't get a chance to play a Recording /+ tomorrow, I've found a few that I'd buy online. couple hundred seem right?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014