soft long tones and breathing question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Apr 22, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I have been dinging around with the very first part of the Cat Anderson method. When I play the second line G I find I need to breath well before I run out of air .. same as holding your breath feeling....gasp.
    sound about right?
    When I go to the 3rd space C I can't hold it out over 20 seconds and then I just let it fall down to te second line G and hold it until I run out of air. This one I actually can use the air up.
    This seems like a great lung building warmup not to mention lip strengthening exercise.
    comments?

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Do you have Geoff Winstead's book on Cat's method,the original publication was flawed in several aspects.

I am having success with an exercise that came from TH called 19-30s.

Start on 3rd space C and play softly for 30 secs, rest for 30 secs, descend by semitones playing each for 30 secs and resting 30 secs until ending with low F#. This takes 19 min and gives a good workout. A new use for my old darkroom timer.

If you still have chops left go back up again with the same.

Regards, Stuart.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I saw that publication... wasn't sure if it was legit or another gimick. It does make sense that explainations are needed.. I died trying the ee-gg gg--aa part... laughed in fact.
    I could feel my lungs crying after the two 20 minute sessions.
    30 seconds descending in half steps would probably accomplish the same thing.
    Do you ever feel like you have air left but have to breath or you will just pass out when playing really soft long tones?

4. ewanmains

ewanmains Piano User

Jun 9, 2009
    Kilmarnock, UK
    Hi Dave,

Get Geoff's version of the book. It's comprehensive in it's detail, plus Geoff is a really nice guy if you get stuck on any of the exercises. The original book is not in the correct order and is missing much of the notes Cat left for the publisher apparently.

http://www.therealcatandersonmethod.com

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    When I first started this exercise I could get about halfway down before needing a breath before the 30 secs were up, the lower notes requiring more air, after several weeks of practice I can now hold each note for the full duration, a good exercise I feel for developing air control.

Geoff was a long term student of Cat and has put the lessons in their correct order with a lot of extra instruction and comments.

Regards, Stuart.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Thank you ..will keep you posted on the progress down the road.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    coolerdave - I am a proponent of the Cat Anderson method also -- or at least a proponent of long soft tones, and how they have helped with range, tone, and endurance. I can't do the whole Cat method -- cause my lungs/ lips won't handle it - yet what I can do helps a great deal.
    I've been modifying this method to do mostly scales (in 2 and somtimes 3 octaves) if I can. and holding the notes there. Of course the higher octaves are not as long a hold.

my 2 cents is to use the Method as a guide, and tailor your own workout/ practice to where you are on the trumpet. I still think you will be very successful with long, soft, tones.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Dave, something to try is to really push yourself past the point where you feel like you need to breathe. When I first start warming up, my first long tones are like what you described, and I think it's a basic body conditioning thing where you are used to breathing at a natural pace, and your body wants to continue that, even though that's not what you are trying to consciously do with it. When I first start, my body is telling me to breathe and my heart starts beating harder and my diaphragm wants to naturally work to pull in another breath. I've found that if I take those first couple of tones and really push past the natural instinct to breathe, it drastically increases my ability to play longer tones and to better use my lung capacity.

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    perfect Patrick ...my gut was just that ... it is really uncomfortable.. being that no one likes to feel like they are suffocating.
    @KingTrumpet ... The Cat system does take a lot of time... something that for me is a premium so I was hoping to be able to do as you suggest.. check it out.. modify it a bit ... I may check of Geoff's book in a few months ... curious.

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Also, don't take such a big breath that you feel like you are straining to hold it in. Deep, but relaxed.