Soft palette blisters

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GB in Japan, Mar 17, 2010.

1. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I prefer vodka to wisky, so I'll defer on that. :)

Soft palette lesions tend to be aphthous ulcers, which are non-infectious painful ulcerations. However, your description of a blister, bloody, and bursting is definitely atypical. Allergic reaction and mechanical trauma are definitely on the list of possibilities. But depending on your age and risk factors, it could be any number of things (good and bad). I'm glad you're going to see a physician about it.

Mike

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Fairy nuff I bow to the experience of the Doc, lets all hope its somehting simple (but MacCallan?)

Slainte Bar

Andrew

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Never personally had this health issue ... and meds for many others have contraindicated continued usage of any alcoholic sublime:-(.

4. GB in Japan

GB in Japan New Friend

Feb 21, 2010
    Thanks for all the support.
    Back the the real issue in hand - whisky is Scottish and Whiskey is Irish.

The minor issue at hand, I've got some cream from the docs. She said I'm just the type to be succeptible to such lesions, unluckily though, and it has nothing to do with the trumpet.
    BUT, it's got me thinking, how many germs must be living in my trumpet. Next time I'll rinse it out with a cheap bottle of Japanese Nikka whisky.

Now back to the main point in hand - I prefer port or sherry.

5. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    Whisky, whiskey, vodka...whichever. If you do all three you will sound like Wynton...in your head. Anyway...I have had a problem sorta like this...minus the blood. I occasionally get multiple bumps...almost rashlike...on the roof of my mouth. If always starts as a small spot then grows to cover the entire roof. After a few days it shrinks up again and I don't know when or if it will return. Maybe I should hit the Whiskey:)

6. rmavillarica

rmavillarica New Friend

Nov 14, 2009
    Hi GB in Japan,

I had a similar situation about 7-8 years ago. It started with a big blood blister above my uvula. Months later, I started developing them in other parts of my mouth. 14 doctors later a biopsy was taken by a leading dermatologist here in the Philippines. I was diagnosed with Pemphigus Vulgaris, which is an autoimmune disease. This was verified by some (blood) immuno-fluorescence tests. Basically, I am allergic to my own skin. Fortunately, it is fairly isolated to my mucosa.

Heavy doses of steroids fixes the flare-ups.

Hope this helps.

And to keep on topic, I like Laphroaig single malt scotch.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  7. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I'm about 2-3 miles from the geological center of Tennessee, so to all you Jack Daniel lovers :-P I'm not that far away!

8. GB in Japan

GB in Japan New Friend

Feb 21, 2010
    to rmavillarcia, thanks.

sounds nasty.