Soft playing double buzz

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kevin Hilman, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Kevin Hilman

Kevin Hilman Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Hi Manny,
    I've been playing through a lot of excerpts lately and I've noticed something that concerns me. I'm fairly confident on a lot of the faster, louder, technical excerpts but the slower, more lyrical 'Academic Festival Overture' is giving me grief. I'm having difficulty maintaining a nice open sound on the sustained, soft notes. At the beginning of the excerpt there is a skip from a second line g to a fourth space E and I notice a little double buzz creeps in while sustaining the e. Do you know how I might go about eliminating the double buzz?
    Thanks,

Kevin Hilman

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Kevin,

Keep your corners down and forward during these softer excerpts. It's easier and slightly more natural to do so for the loud tunes but when we go to play softly we tend to compress and play tighter. You are likely going to a tah-ee approach without realizing it and it's messing with your stability. Be a little more conscious during your warm up about how much you go in and out when you play with your lips. Your corners need to be stable in order to play with a consistently symphonic sound.

Think "Tooh tooooooh too too toooooh tooh, tooh toooooooooo tooh tooh toooooh..."

You'll notice almost right away that the sound is more beautiful and consistent.

ML

3. Kevin Hilman

Kevin Hilman Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Thanks Manny. I will give it a try when I practice tonight!

4. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Manny - just want to say I tried out your "toooh" thing today. I was doing the Hindemith and some excerpts (Mahler 5 in particular) and wasn't feeling comfortable, so suddenly thought I'd give it a shot...

WOW! I don't know why, and I'm not sure how much of this was mental, but the sound seemed MUCH better! I don't think I've ever got such a full, big (and loud!) sound before. Definitely going to continue practising that one, cheers!