Software

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AutoDisaster, Feb 9, 2009.

1. AutoDisaster

AutoDisaster New Friend

Feb 9, 2009
    Hello peoples

I'm just starting to learn trumpet playing and was wondering whether there are any (hopefully free...) computer programs that could help with learning. I was hoping for something that would provide feedback about pitch accuracy to help learn this. I'm pretty sure there's no TrumpetStar playstation game, but maybe something else that could help?

I would appreciate anybody's suggestions?

Alex

2. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    really the best approach is to find a teacher. Software can catch issue with pitch etc. but can't correct possible problems with your breathing , articulation, or embouchure.

STANDARD OF EXCELLENCE -ENHANCED VERSION W/CD - TRUMPET- LESSON BOOK 1 - Trumpet Lesson Book

the "Standard of Excellence" book is used by many schools and it comes with a CD package called iPas. Install it on the computer and it has a metronome, tuner and for selected exercises, it will check your pitch and your note attack, duration and release against what should have been played.

maybe this will be helpful.

3. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
  4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    find a duet buddy. It's free and will do wonders for your playing. Forget about isolating yourself with a computer - Music is a group sport where 1+1 can be much greater than 2!

5. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    Greatest advice ever, Robin. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

6. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    Good Advice, you can start with these books, they have a play along cd that gives you an accompaniment for the songs, however, if you can afford a good trumpet teacher, get one- it is the best way to start anything. But if you can't, that's why we are here, ask us questions and try our best to help. good luck!!:-)

7. AutoDisaster

AutoDisaster New Friend

Feb 9, 2009
    Hi guys

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check these out. I am seeing an instructor weekly, so I've got some human input. I thought it might be a good idea to back this up with some electronical support. I'm taking a music theory course as well, which should help.

Regards
    Alex

8. tony h

tony h Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2008
    Apart from your lips the other most important part of your instrument is your ears listen to as many different styles of trumpet playing as you can and try to emulate the sound you like, I found this a great help for tone and pitch when I was starting out , good luck.

9. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    the Ipas software I mentioned in my earlier post has a tuner. It's nice when you start out to know whether you're playing a G or a C. The tuner can be used to graphically see whether you are flat or sharp and assures you that you're playing the correct note. This will help you quite a bit. Work to keep the note centered on the pitch and focus on making the note sound as pure as possible (not weak and thin sounding or loud and blatant).
    I'm glad to hear you do have an instructor because that's more important for your growth.