Solder in Olds Horns

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, May 3, 2011.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I am wondering what kind of solder is used in Olds horns, is it non-toxic. Also I recently did a thorough cleaning of my horn and a few days later I noticed white oxidation on the exposed solder joints, what could cause that?

2. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    The low-temperature solder joints almost certainly use a solder that contains lead -- probably around 60% lead, 40% tin.

In the presence of moisture, tin forms a white oxide.

3. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I guess there shouldn't be much of problem with contact, there are solder joints in the lead pipe area, and I don't play with my horn tilted up, the bacteria growing in there is probably more dangerous. I tried to search for lead in my trumpet, but it kept coming back as lead trumpet.ROFL

4. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    I don't recall hearing much about hazards to players from the lead in solder. A repair tech did tell me that there are concerns in the instrument manufacturing and repair industries about workers inhaling lead fumes while soldering. He mentioned that some repair shops have moved to lower-lead-content solders as a result, but that these have a higher melting point and result in more lacquer damage when used to repair lacquer instruments. Also, since more heat is involved, more care has be taken to keep nearby solder joints below the melting point.

5. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    The white oxidation on or around old solder joints, is simply that. Oxidation, which is caused by the various contributing factors of oxidation. It is still good solder. Although a good solder joint should not display too much solder. Again, without pics, it is hard to tell what you are seeing.

6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Yamaha no longer uses lead solder, and many companies are starting to follow.
    My shop doesn't use lead solder anymore.

7. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts

What are they using?

8. ogauge47

ogauge47 Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Probably silver solder.

9. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Silver solder is used to solder the curved plates to the pins on the braces. It is a hard solder, and requires much more heat. More than likely they are using SAF-A-LLOY or a tin/ silver alloy (95-96%tin/ 3.5-4%silver).

10. dsr0057

dsr0057 Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2009
    Denton, TX
    Lead based solder is primarily used for most horn manufacturers. There are trace amounts that really have no harmful effects on the player themselves. Shops and manufacturers are switching to PB free solder because of the long term effects it has on employees. It isn't silver solder it just doesn't have lead.