Soldering advice for beginner

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Youri le god, May 12, 2005.

1. Youri le god

Youri le god Pianissimo User

Jan 23, 2004
    London, UK
    Hi there,

I've aquired a beaten up old Buescher Aristocrat. It has had some considerable damage and work done (very badly!!) to fix it. I am considering using this as my test horn to practice soldering on. I have lots of experience soldering electronics (I do all my guitar repairs myself) but have no brass soldering experience. I've done some searches here and on TH for soldering info. Is the process anything like plumbing (or am I being dim!)?
    The first obvious problem on the horn is that when you push the tuning slide fully in only one of the joints comes flush (the top one) and there is about 1cm of tubing on the lower portion protruding. It looks (to the untrained eye) like it needs unsoldering and redoing in the correct position. Can anyone offer any advice on equipment and processes?
    Thanks
    Des

2. TotalEclipse

TotalEclipse Piano User

Mar 2, 2005
    Brisbane in OZ
  3. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    Hi Des

Can you send me a picture of this and i will write down just what to do step by step okay.

Or if no pic then please give a full description and ill take it from that

Best Wishes

Leigh

PS some of the soldering can be a bit like plumbing, so no you are not being crazy on that at all.

4. Youri le god

Youri le god Pianissimo User

Jan 23, 2004
    London, UK
    Wow, thanks Leigh, you're a star. I'll take some pics tonight and email them

Cheers
    Des