Soldering Clamps for Trumpet repair...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Osren, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Osren

Osren Mezzo Forte User

Oct 17, 2010
    Mesa, Az
    Where does one FIND Soldering Clamps for Trumpet repair??

something like this:
    [​IMG]

or these

[​IMG]

let me know if you have any suggestions for me... ;)

2. dBeav

dBeav Pianissimo User

May 1, 2013
    Detroit Area
  3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Buy a small roll of tie wire of a suitable thickness from a hardware shop and make your own, it is not difficult. I have made most of my own repair tools.

Regards, Stuart.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Jigs are a cheap and dirty way to force parts together but can add a huge amount of tension to the instrument. It is not uncommon for the owners of Bach trumpets to have the braces unsoldered, then re-soldered using the weight of the instrument to hold things in place while soldering. If using a jig, please use as little force as possible.

I had an incident involving my Scherzer piccolo, a wine cork and a wooden spoon that resulted in popping of the final bell brace, and the bell sprung out at around 15 more degrees. I left it at that angle, had another brace gently added and was amazed at how much more open the horn was.

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    The clamps pictured exert almost zero force and are very appropriate for the task.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Agreed. They act like burn-proof fingers to hold parts in place. I'm just not crazy about jigs that force things in place.

7. Osren

Osren Mezzo Forte User

Oct 17, 2010
    Mesa, Az
    Thanx all... not sure HOW I missed them on Ferree's.... duh! (thanx dBeav)

Vulgano and Ivan have it right, I don't really want to add pressure, I just want "burn-proof" fingers ;)

and thanx Stumac for the thought of making my own... I might do that, but Ferree's has them pretty darn cheap. ;)

I always appreciate advice from those that actually do this stuff on a regular basis...

8. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    The forces at play in heated tubing are not to be underestimated. Sliding supports are good; fixed anchor points can spoil your day..

[​IMG]

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Where did this idea come from that clamps are a bad thing?

You don't want space between the brace and the pipe, you want everything to fit snug before soldering.

Ivan, am I missing something?

10. dBeav

dBeav Pianissimo User

May 1, 2013
    Detroit Area
    I think what he was talking about was forcing a piece into position using a clamp or jig and then soldering in place to hold it there as opposed to making the pieces fit correctly first.