Solfege - VB?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jdostie, Feb 12, 2011.

1. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    I'm looking into some rythm and ear training alternatives. I've seen solfege mentioned before (by VB?) several times. Other than a general familiarity with it, the "Sound of Music" is basically all I've got, and the description on Wikipedia . . .

So I have a few questions:
    1. For someone first starting out, would you have them actually write do-ray-mi on the music after determining the intervals, and gradually move to instant interval recovnition?
    2. Do you just figure the key signature, and assign the first note in the key signature as do? So if it's G major, G is do regardles of where the G appears in the range of the tune?
    3. I mention writing them in first just to aid the process - as rhythm training is sorely needed, while ear training - is also needed, pauses to think about interval - in my mind would mess that up, so I am thinking, go through, write in the syllable, and then go back with a metronome and sing it through. I've done similar with troubling rythms (maybe why I still have trouble?) writing 1 + a 2 + a . . . over the music to help me get it right wall playing. But, I am thinking that singing is going to be a better approach - it will help both rythm and ear . . .

I hope!

2. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    Complex question:

My overly simplistic answer will no doubt upset some people but, . .

1) Don't write syllables in as you will spend more time reading your markings than decoding the music. Sure, we all need to once in a while but reading the ink is more important than cyphering.

2) This is a classic: which is better fixed do or moveable do. You have some research skills, so look up the difference. IMO, I believe moveable do, where do is the name of the key that you're in is the most effective method for a trumpet player. After playing professionally for 34 years, I find that I use moveable help with transposition. The main thing is that looking at the page and being able to solfege it helps you pre-hear the part so you're not just fingering and guessing. If you know how it goes in you mind it just becomes a case of making the "outer world" agree with the "inner world"

3. I am reluctant to recommend writing in all the counting for the same reasons that I can't recommend writing in all the syllables. A method book (Rubank Elementary e.g.) is systematic in its approach to counting - rhythm is like math, in that it is cumulative: you don't learn division until addition, subtraction and multiplication are mastered. Sixteenth notes come after eighths, eighths come after quarters etc.

My treatise on rhythm is too lengthy for this forum.

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I believe you have just gotten as good as advice possible. I would suggest however if you have access to a keyboard that you play and sing it with the keyboard. This will help you to obtain the idea of the distance between intervals and aid in playing the right notes at the right time. Start slowly you are learning and then you should be able to pick up speed later.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I use the movable do system, for the same reason tpsiebs does. A good site to visit is theSightReadingProject Home which has exercises of varying difficulty. My sight-singing was pretty awful until I started working with the piano and my mouthpiece, starting with scales , then arpeggios, then simple pieces--the goal is to go longer and longer between testing pitch with the piano. (Please note, if slurring on the mouthpiece it is desirable to have a glissando between the notes.) Once I got good with the mouthpiece, singing became much easier.

The ability to recognize intervals and "hear" them before playing does much for accuracy and intonation.

Have fun!

5. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Awesome. Thank you.