solo and ensemble festival

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Lizzy Jean, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Lizzy Jean

Lizzy Jean New Friend

Jul 11, 2006
    festival is coming up and i need to pick a solo. last year as a freshmen in high school i played Invocation by Robert Starer. i struggled with this piece a little, but i managed to pull it together and i ended up geting a one. i liked Invocation becaude it was very different. i don't want to play a solo that everyone else is going to be playing. i am a sophomore in high school. any suggestions?

2. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Lizzy- It's kind of difficult to make suggestions without knowing your state solo list since they vary from state to state. My best recommendation would be to get together with your teacher and discuss this. He/she knows your strengths and has access to the list.

3. benge73

benge73 New Friend

Dec 4, 2006
    what state??

and what grade are you looking??

4. green_eagle18

green_eagle18 Pianissimo User

Jun 25, 2006
    Denton, TX.
    also hard to suggest without knowing your capabilities.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I've had students your age that have played the following with good results:
    Otto Ketting: Intrada
    Fisher Tull: 8 Profiles for Solo Trumpet(pick a couple of playable movements)

6. Lizzy Jean

Lizzy Jean New Friend

Jul 11, 2006
    um, last year for festival i played invocation by robert starer, that piece goes up to a C above the staff. i can double tounge. other pieces i've played are premiere etude de concours by petit and andante and allegro by ropartz. in my previous post i said i was a sophomore in high school, i've been playing for almost four years.

7. Lizzy Jean

Lizzy Jean New Friend

Jul 11, 2006
    oh, and i am in michigan, i'm not sure what you mean by grade.

8. Dave

Dave Guest

Check out Introduction and Scherzo by Goeyens.

9. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    If you can handle it - Hindemith RULES!

10. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit

So if you're a sophmore in high school that would make you in 10th grade. I have a son who plays trombone in 10th grade in Roosevelt High School Wyandotte, Michigan!

I'd tend to agree with some of the other posts. Talk to your band director and look at the state list. Find something that works with your skill set.

Good Luck!
    John