solo copper

Discussion in 'Horns' started by davidjohnson, Nov 10, 2003.

1. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    i'm interested in adding a solo copper to my trpt collection. the calicchio folx were very nice when i e-mailed them a couple of months ago and informed that, as i understand it, the solo copper is no longer made, but there is an 'ultra' model in copper. does anyone know what the difference between these possibilities will be?

dj

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    solo copper vs Ultra

The " Solo " copper Calichio had a brass mouthpiece reciever attached to a reversed , solic copper leadpipe . the tunig slide was very rounded like the "monette " style and also in copper. The tuning crook had no brace .

All the tubing was copper with nickel silver trim thru-out the trumpet.
    The bell was a 25 gauge copper bell. It was available in the ususal bell / leadpipe combinations. Becasue of the copper and the very smooth turns throu-out the instrument played very warmly and fluid like the Martin Commitees of old, but the sound never go harsh or brassy.

The " Ultra " was designed to be more like the Monettes' Taylor's, etc, .
    It has a very long and heavy mouthpiece reciever , heavy bottom caps and a thick gauge bell with all the internal bracing Calicchio offers. I has a really great, full sound that will carry and " hold " together.

The bell was the only section of the trumpet that could be ordered in copper.The ultra is a very popular model at Calicchio's and I'm glad John's decided to continue it. This model lets you either " layback and play very warmly or If you " lean " on a ultra , it can command quite a presence, really cutting thru the band.

Hope this helps.

3. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Hi Larry,

Nice reply. And to all thoses reading checkout the Calicchio web site. John Duda & Dave Johnson appear to be doing a great job since the company has moved to Tulsa, OK. I haven't yet played one they've made, but I hear very possitive comments.

A good Calicchio is a horn to keep. Sounds like they're making good ones!

Michael

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for looking in on us .

Too all the Calicchio guys out there , Mike Manthey is a fine trpt. player out of Florida that just came back from a tour with the Lawrence Welk Orchestra.When he's in town , he plays with Paul Cohen's Big Band among others.

Paul Cohen is a fantastic lead player that led Basie's trumpet section for many years and now has his own band in Florida.

Mike happens to a play Scodwell Trumpet , but I never hold that against him. I think Tony's trumpets are excellent and he's comming out with a flugelhorn that will knock your socks off.

Mike's a really fine player and good friend, plus he has a wealth of knowledge that I hope he shares with us.

Larry

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Hey Larry, Thanks for the info. I have heard that name Scodwell before. Are they made in Vegas?

I'm going to post something about this in the Wild West Horn forum

6. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    the solo copper was one of the most beautiful horns I've ever seen.
    I'd never be able to afford one but I'm sad that it has passed away.