Some advice if you please

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bigaggietrumpet, Jan 24, 2005.

1. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Hey Manny,
    The orchestra has [finally] decided to institute a mandatory placement audition. At this point, we are allowed to pick whatever we want to audition with, as long as there is a fast selection and a slow selection (correct terms are technical and lyrical, but you get my point). As soon as I heard it, I knew my technical selection would be the ending to the first movement of the Hummel. The slower selection however, I didn't have and so I picked it up from our librarian's notebook. It is the choralic section of Brahm's Academic Festival Overture. I was just curious if you had any opinions as to how this should be interpreted/performed.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Sigh...

This is precisely why I think people should be looking at the twelve themes and Variations at the end of the Arban book at any level. Good challenging, variety-laden music for all occasions. Oh, well...

The chorale from the Academic Festival Overture should sound like a slightly solemn song that moves at a nice moderate pace. The worst thing people do to that chorale is either not breathe in natural places or not phrase because they're too worried about the stupid high G.

It needs to sound like a song with words and nice phrase endings whether you breathe. Also, you need to remember when the horns take over the theme so you can back of a bit and when you are supposed to re-emerge to the fore. You have to hear all that in your head even though it's a solo audition.

"I like to hear trumpet,
    Vi-olists do not.
    So, I'-i-i-i-i-ll play soft
    My ho-o-o-o-o-rn aloft."

"I think it's time for me
    TO PLAY MUCH MORE LOU-U-U-U-U-D-LY!
    NOW IS THE TIME!
    NOW IS THE TIME!"

Okay? If I can make something stupid like that up on the spot I'm sure you can do better.

ML

3. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Doubtful, I'm not exactly creative with words.

I'm guessing you'd just go into all sorts of convulsions if I told you that I have yet to even open an Arban's book, except for a copy of Carnival of Venice that I started working on a few days ago.

Thanks for the help!

4. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    "I'm guessing you'd just go into all sorts of convulsions if I told you that I have yet to even open an Arban's book, except for a copy of Carnival of Venice that I started working on a few days ago."

THUD.

That was me falling in a dead faint onto the floor, cracking my skull and creating another vacancy in the MO trumpet section.

ML

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    ROFL

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    A new audition about to begin? :play:

7. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Yeah Manny, I like your lyrics to"Academic Festival."
    I am reminded of some of the other words set to music.

Beethoven's Eroica- First Movement theme.......
    Oh my gosh,I can't stand this tune no more.

Come to think of it, I can't say any of the other ones, they are much too risqué :-o

Wilmer

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Don Juan comes to mind :D

9. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Pianissimo User

Tchaikovsky fifth.. "Who stole the key to the $h?t house?" ... :bleah:

10. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA