Some advices for a beginner (edited) please help.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ari, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Ari

Ari New Friend

Mar 22, 2006
    Hello!

I´m a 20 year old boy. I´ve played the guitar and the piano for 5 years, and right now I´m studying musicology at the university. For a while ago, i got tired of the guitar, and decided to start with the trumpet. I would say that the trumpet is or will be my main instrument from now. I´ve only played for 2 weeks so I have som questions.

My goal isn´t to become a lead trumpeter in a band. I want to have a decent tone, and play what i hear in my head. Improvise Jazz. My two inspiriations are Chet Baker and Lee Morgan. Can you mention a couple other trumpeters in the same style?

---

I have now learned to buzz notes. My only problem is, the air is coming out from a very wide aperture, so when i buzz a note, and then bring up the mouthpiece, I have with the problems with the tone. To solve this problem i have to push the mouthpiece towards the lips (just a bit). Then the pitch usually goes up between a fifth and an octave, and i cant bring it down. What am I doing wrong? I´m aware that my corners must be firm, and I know about the pencil excercise. How can i make the aperture smaller?

2. Ari

Ari New Friend

Mar 22, 2006
    bump